Friday 21 June 2013

Chapter 1

Genesis


Kojo walked to and fro his study. He had thought that this would just be like one of those times, but this was different.
There was something different about it this time and it got him perturbed. Kojo was one of those men you could hardly ruffle their cool. He was often referred to as calm and collected. But this was different. He did not envisage this one and it caught him napping.
How could this have happened?” He muffled. “How did I let myself into this mess…?
He paced his study again. The rim of his reading glasses sitting on top of his nose like it would come off.

His study is a medium sized white painted room. It had brown mahogany shelves with lots of books. You would almost take it for a library. There was a large sofa in the study. It was one of those Italian brands with soft grey leather. There was a long back massage chair sitting at his desk. The desk was hosting a diary opened with a pen sitting in between its pages. It also had an Apple laptop with a telephone, a small Brazilian mug with coffee patiently cooling inside it; a totally luxurious study.

Kojo is a man of high taste and he would leave no stone unturned to give himself the look that dictates his reputation and opulence. He studied Law at Harvard University. It was there he met a friend, Simon, who developed his interest in luxury furniture and it just stuck with him ever since. He is known in his circle as a very astute gentleman and he had worked hard over the years to earn his reputation as the never loosing lawyer. Though he had lost many cases, he had won much more. His loss almost did not count.

The clock on the wall silently ticked off the seconds. It registered 5:18pm. Then the phone rang. He jolted out of his thought. He walked up to his desk where the phone was. He picked up the receiver.
“Hello… Hello, who is on the line?” He reluctantly requested.
There was a smirk on his face. It better be something really important.
The other end was silent for a few seconds, then a small sultry voice spoke, “Hello KJ darling. It’s me. Jenny. Jennifer.”
At that moment Kojo wanted to drop the call but somehow he managed to hold still. He was going to get rid of his secretary.
“Yeah, Jennifer, I’ve told you not to call me again. What happened between us is over and I want it to remain that way.”
“Kojo, I know you’ve said that but I just miss you a lot and I can’t stop thinking about you…”
“Jennifer. I am not in the mood for this. I’ve got other things to worry about. Its over between us and that’s final. Have a good day.”
He dropped the receiver with a rather hard clang. He leaned back on his chair and cursed under his breath.
Almost immediately, the door that led into his study pushed open. His wife walked in.
“Honey, you’ve been in your study all day. I mean all day. I thought you were supposed to be on break? Which means, your work does not follow you home? A break means a break the last time I checked.”
He looked up at her with a smile.
“Yeah, ifemi, just have a few things to wrap up. “
She walked up to him and sat on his laps looking at his face. “Honey, I wanted us to enjoy this break together. I don’t have the luxury of your time like I do now and I want to make the best of it. So why don’t you close your laptop, and lets hang out together tonight. I miss you a lot.”
“Woow. We slept on the same bed last night and we prayed together this morning. I eat your breakfast and we have seen almost 20 times after that time. So how come you miss me, ifemi?” He kissed her softly on the lips.
“Its not just seeing you, it’s been with you that matters most. I missed the Kojo that was very playful and humorous. I miss the Kojo that made me feel I was the only woman in the world. I miss the Kojo that would share every free moment with me. I miss the best friend I have.” She replied.
“Ifemi, I don’t know what to say... I know I have not been there like I should but I miss our moments too. And I want to make it up to you.”
She winked at him with a smile crossing her face. He was a man of his words and he never said anything he was not going to keep. That was one thing you can count on Kojo for.
“I heard about this place and you are going to love it.”
“Yeah?”
“Sure. It’s surreal. Built for couples, you know…” She replied making gestures with her hands.
“Hmmm. I can’t wait.”
“Sure you can’t. So when is it going to be? ” She inquired.
“Tonight of course. I can’t wait to hang out with my best friend, my love and angel.”
“I love you.” His wife looked at him. It seemed at the moment, her eyes dazzled. Something that he never got tired of looking at.
“I love you too.” He replied softly.
He watched her as she walked out of his office, playing with her hair as she did. When she got to the door, she looked back and blew him a kiss. “Honey, you are my hero.”
He nodded at her and she disappeared.

*   *   *
Patience stood at the door. Her husband was leaving for work as he always did every morning. He was a responsible father and a great husband. Even though his monthly pay cheque was not taking care of them as it used to, he had a way of making up for it by always being around his family. He always came back home tired and worked out but he had never taken the stress out on his family.
“So Patience, I hope there is something to eat at home?”
“Yes, I boiled yam early this morning and I would fry egg now. Can’t you wait so I can put some for you? It wouldn’t be long.”
“Thank you darling. But if I wait any longer I would get to work late. I’d get something to eat when I get to work. Thanks my love. God bless you.”
“Amen. I just don’t like the way you go to work without eating.”
“My one and only Patience. I’d see you later. Bye.” He started to walk away. 
“Bye. Please take it easy at work today. And don’t come back late. I’d be expecting you by 7:00pm at most. Okay?”
“Okay dear. No promises though but I’d try really hard.”
“You’d better.” She smiled.

*   *   *

The mirror was not clear, so he got a small cloth and wiped it clean. Adjusting his tie with seldom carefulness. Frustration could be seen by the lines that characterized his forehead.
Five years after NYSC, he had sought for a job. He had attended interviews so much that he had lost enthusiasm. Even when a company like BlueLane Plc (a renowned Investment Banking Firm in highbrow Lagos) called him for an interview, it didn't make him feel any better. He was used to the “we would get back to you” response that always never bore fruit.
32 year old Francis Iteru graduated from the University of Ibadan with a first degree in Business Administration to his honor. He was posted to Edo state for his NYSC programme where he met Sandra. It was like a match made in heaven. They were like twins. They were always together. But things changed after they completed their service; Sandra got a job almost immediately. It was different for Francis. The love they shared began to grow cold. She had bore the burden of their need for two years and she could not continue. So, she went on to meet someone else. That left Francis distraught.

He turned around trying to catch a glimpse of his shirt in the mirror. He was almost cursing when he noticed a small stain that was caused by a neighbor who had spread his dripping cloth near his shirt the day before.
“Nuisance, I don’t know why people always act stupid. Didn’t he see my shirt? Now see the stain on my shirt. Msheeeeeew!” He spoke to himself.
After whining for few minutes, he decided it wasn't making him any better. He took a quick glance at his wristwatch. It registered 7:05am. The interview was for 8:00am but he needed about an hour to get to the company. He hurried out, locking the door behind him.

*   *   *

“Pappy, how far?” Wole said as he walked towards Paul.
“Hey Wole, I dey o.” Paul replied. He waited for Wole to catch up.
“Boy, hunger wan kill me this morning. I chop yesterday night but when I wake this morning, belle just dey trouble me. Be like say I go chop this restaurant finish.”
“Cool down.”
“You don marry now. You get wife wey dey cook for you at least. I wonder why you dey come here come dey follow bachelor like us chop? How Patience and the children sef?”
“We thank God. My brother, we thank God.”
“Madam, abeg gimme gari and egusi, put two fish and one pomo. Make am quick abeg before I fall for here.” Wole called out to the restaurant attendant.
“Madam, give me rice and beans. Put one fish and plantain. Then bring two bottles of soft drinks.  Give us Coca-cola.”
“Thanks man.”
“Don’t mention.” Paul replied.
Two young ladies walked into the restaurant. One was holding a big bag on one hand and a small one on the other. The other was taller and slimmer. She wasn’t carrying a handbag just holding her phone.
“I hate that guy. I’m telling you, if I had a gun now, I will shoot him.” Bimpe paused and looked around, “these guys don’t deserve any kind of sympathy. When we try to be faithful they go around sleeping with any girl who offers herself. Why are guys so so so…?”
“Its okay Bimpe,” slimmer Moji tried to comfort her friend.
“Moji, I gave that guy everything. I mean everything. My time, myself, my money, my life and see what I get back in return. That guy would suffer for what he did to me. He would suffer. Guys are always like that. They make you fall in love with them and when they have your trust, they go out there and wag at anything in skirt.” Bimpe said resisting the urge to retort.
“Bimpe, hold yourself together. Its good you caught him yourself. If someone else told you, you may not have believed them and he would go around sleeping with girls putting your life at risk. See, he doesn’t deserve you worrying over it like this.”
“Moji, four years of my life just like that?” Her eyes were welling up.
Moji held her friend. “You’d make it. We’ve all got scars. Remember how Robert traveled out with that girl without telling me a thing. It was like my world ended at that time but look at me now, I’m doing great without him. I guess it was God who allowed him to leave so I can move on to become a better person. So babie girl, you would pull through and get better.”
“Men are useless, I tell you. They are all fools.”
“Not all of them. Even though the few good ones are getting fewer by the day, there are still some good guys out there and you would find one soon. That, I can at least guarantee you from experience.”
"Moji, when...?" Tears were rolling down Bimpe's cheeks.
Moji held her friend in a consoling embrace. "God will bring you someone who would appreciate you..." She said to her sobbing friend.

Paul was watching his friend has he consumed the food. He was indeed famished. Wole was the only one in his world. Consuming the food with reckless abandon.
“Wole take it easy. The food is not going to run off the plate.”
“Pappy, its like I have not eaten in ages. My belly is not fun right now. I go even chop more.”
“Oga would come in soon. We better get back to work.”
“Yeah.” Wole replied, “See, I don dey eye one of those girls wey dey there. Be like say one of them dey cry…” gesturing to his friend with a nod in the direction the new entrants sat.
“Wole, this lifestyle you are living no pay. Go and get married. You are growing old.”
“We are saying the same thing. I see a girl I for like marry. Did you see when they walked in? I like the height of that tall one.”
“Let me tell you something from experience…” Paul cut in.
“I dey hear you.”
“Beauty can only last for a while. Even women know that. Do not marry a girl for beauty. Marry her for her good virtues and character. She would not always look the same all through your marriage. Child-bearing and age will take its toll. But good character is like a leopards skin, rain and shine cannot wipe if off. It’s more than shape my brother. If you marry a beautiful girl without good character, you could marry a beautiful monster. It can make your life a living hell. ” Paul tried to enlighten his hungry friend.
“Your wife is beautiful and has good character. Na the thing wey me sef dey find be that. I know beauty is not real with all the makeup kits ladies carry around these days. But I can’t marry an ugly girl ooo. Even if she be mother Theresa.”
“My wife is my world. I no lie give you. That woman is the most understanding person I know. I have no regret I married her. But I married her not for her beauty but for her person.  I..”
“Story. You guys get married and then become prolific speakers. Abeg, I’m done. Lets go. I will just greet those ladies as we walk out. I will find out a little about the taller one; what her virtues and character is like.” He smiled.
“Suit yourself.”
*   *   *

It was about 4:35pm and the cloud was gathering. The wind was heavy. Practically blowing away every little thing that could not hold its ground away. People were running for shelter. Shop owners were pulling in their goods from the wrath of the impending down pour. Cars were all over the place with people in haste to get back home or to wherever it is they found safe.
It was one of those days when you just wanted to be in the comfort of your house, sit back and watch a movie or listen to music without a care in the world. The weather was just right for that kind of mood. At least for Susan. Well.. She thought at first.

If you had a duplex all to yourself like Susan had now, you just wondered around thinking of what you could do. The house was just too big a playground. Her husband was on official trip as usual and she was home alone. They had no kids at the time. Even though her husband has not been so overbearing about it, she knew it bothered him. They were counting 4 years now. She felt a wave of guilt crawl up her skin. He didn’t deserve this. He loved her so much. He was one of those rare breeds of men. But she sometimes imagined he had someone else he was seeing and sometimes she does not blame him. It was not his fault afterall.
She needed a friend right now. Someone she could confide in. Someone she could pour out her heart to. 
So she thought of whom she could call. Many names came to mind but it is very difficult to share this moment with just anybody. This moment is best shared with her very close and childhood friend; Kenny.
Then, she picked up her phone and dialed. When the other end pulled through, she said, “Hi Kenny, where are you and what are you doing?”
“I’m driving. Girl, you need to see the traffic and the wind is crazy. It is something else. Every car seems to be on the road right now. Where are you?” The voice on the other end replied.
“At home.”
“I envy you. Wish I was at home like you…”
“I am at home alone. Girl, why don’t you come over. I need someone to talk to.”
There was a pause on the other end. “I’m really tired and I need to rest right now. But you know I’d do anything for you. The rain has started coming down heavy. So I guess I do not have a choice…” She said. “Make sure to prepare something I could eat. Yeah, my fish fingers. I’d like that one. Babe, I’m on my way, ok?”
“Thanks you. You are my angel.”
“Well you can say that again. Just say in the next ten to fifteen minutes, I’d be at your place.” There was a pause, then, “Good Lord!”
“Kenny! What is that? What happened?”
There was no response on the other end of the line. “Kenny are you there?”
There was still no response but Susan could here noise hammering on the speaker. “Kenny, hello. Kenny, are you there…”
“Yeah, sorry, I almost ran my car over the culvert. The water had covered it. Thank you Jesus. Girl, I was scared. I thought I was stuck. The car won’t move for a second or so…”
“Babe, please be very careful. Just keep up with the cars ahead and make sure to leave some distance between you and the car ahead. You know, just incase it misses its path.”
“Yeah. Sure. I’m making a turn now. I’d hang up. Just go and prepare the meal. I don’t want stories when I get to your place.” Then she dropped the call.

The rain had subsided. There were only showers now. The raindrops slowly ran down the windows.
About 7 minutes after the call, Susan could hear Kenny drive through the gate. She always honked three times; her way to signal her arrival. She watched her friend come out of the car and turn to grab her umbrella. When she had securely locked her doors, she hurried towards the building, the rain puddles rippled in her wake.
“Woow!” Kenny exclaimed. “I can smell something good.”
They exchanged hugs. “Kenny, I don’t know how you do it but you always look great. I mean always look great. We’ve been friends for like donkey years and I can’t place a day I found you otherwise.”
“Thanks to friends like you who always keep us on our toes. I’d say the same thing about you anyday.” Kenny remarked. “I don’t want stories. Where are my fish fingers?”
“I’d fix them now…”
“What? Are you kidding me?”
“No. I’m for real. I just got the help to buy me some and he just arrived just about 3 minutes before you showed up.” Susan lied.
“Sussy babe. I’m going to tear off your arms. I just hope you are joking or are you serious?”
“You better get it started.”
Kenny looked at her friend with her eyes like it was closed. She made a gesture to sniff the air.
“I can smell it already girl. Your deceit is not working. You are not a good liar…”
“Yeah. I guess.” Susan replied with a shrug. “Its all ready and waiting to be consumed by a monster.”
Kenny smiled and walked towards the kitchen. “Would you love to have some as well?”
“No. I’m not in the mood for food right now.”
“Whatever it is that bothers your mind, we can share it together. What are friends for?”

Then there were clings and clangs of cutlery, glass cups and pot covers going on in the kitchen. After about 5 minutes, Kenny appeared with a bowl of fish fingers and a long glass of apple juice. Sipping on the juice as she walked towards her friend.
“Men. I can’t wait to consume all of this. My tummy is in for a treat. So what is it that bothers your baby mind? Kenny is all ears.” She asked helping herself to the lounge chair beside Susan.
They sat on a brown Cassie three-seater sofa.
“So baby shoot.”
“Kenny, I don’t know how to say this but…”
“Leeemme-leell, Sorry…” Kenny was trying to talk with food in her mouth. She swallowed and then spoke. “Lets make it easy for you. Why not start from what really bothers you that made you drag me all the way to your house in this heavy downpour..?”
“Yeah. Not like there’s any thing to it. Its just that I have been thinking or is it I've been worrying about something lately...”
“Ok?”
“You know my husband is not in town?”
“Yes. Go on.”
“I am worried about him.”
“Why?”
“You know… I wonder what he might be thinking sometimes. You know… No kids and all that.”
“Give me a second.” Kenny helped herself to her juice. “I see where this is going. You have started to sulk again. Honey, you know I would always be straight up with you.”
Susan nodded.

*   *   *

“You have absolutely nothing to worry about sir.” Paul replied his boss.
Mr. Venson Williams is an astute professional. An expatriate with all the honors one could imagine in his chosen field. Everyone who meets him because of his demeanor, respects him. His carries this air of an astute professional and a high breed Briton.
Now, he sat leaning back on his chair with a cigar in his left hand, which was slowly burning off. He was tucked in a light blue shirt with the cuffs rolled up. His beard was a little grown out than usual and he looked somewhat worried.
“Are you sure about this Paul?”
“Sure sir. I guarantee to get get it ready for you before the end of work tomorrow sir.”
Mr. Williams looked at his wristwatch. “That’s like less than 20 hours from now.”
“It no problem sir.”
“Okay.” Venson looked back at his laptop. He pushed some buttons on his phone. When the phone connected to his call, he nodded at Paul. Indicating he was done.
Paul turned to leave the office when Venson called out, “Paul, I like your attitude towards work. You keep it up.”
“Thank you sir.”
Then almost immediately Venson was back to his call. "Danke schon herr..." He said into the receiver. 

Wole looked up at his friend as he worked into the office.
“So what happened?”
Paul shrugged. “Nothing serious.”
“you don’t look like nothing serious to me. Guy, tell me what happened in there?”
“I assured him, I would get it ready before close of work tomorrow…”
“What?” Wole almost screamed his words.
“Well, what else was I supposed to say? You know Mr Williams is a no nonsense man and he takes you by the words you speak… Sometimes with that guy, you only get one shot.”
“You just ruined your career man. You should have told him it is not possible. It’s a lot of work. Except you do not sleep through till tomorrow that is the only guarantee you would finish it. Even at that, its still no guarantee.”
“I know I would just work extra hard. I better get started already.”
“I wish I could help, but I promised my girlfriend I would be home by 6:00pm today.”
“Wole why not marry this girl. You guys have been dating for donkey years. Stop wasting the poor girl’s time if you are not ready. Haba.”
“I’m not ready for that commitment. I need to get a lot of things ready.” He imagined how mistaken Paul was. It was not just a poor girl. It was a case of poor girls. 
“That’s just the excuse we always give and its very flimsy. The truth is, no one really gets everything they want in this life. We just have to live with what we are given everyday and strive for better things. But what we don’t have should not becloud what we have. If you love her and you are committed to her and she is to you, believe me if you marry that girl, things would begin to change for you. You would focus more. You would be more disciplined and two are always better than one.”
“No preach for me abeg. I would marry her but I need money.”
“How much do you need?”
“A lot..”
“Give me a price.”
“Well, I can’t say how much in details. But money for the wedding, money to rent a new apartment, money to buy a new car, money to pay school fees and the likes…”
“If you wait till you have all that, bro, you would wait a long time.”
“I reject it in Jesus Name. Abeg no swear for me. Which talk be this one now?”
“Wole, I got married to my wife some years ago and at that time I did not have a house of my own. Now we live in our own apartment. I did not have the children’s school fees but now I pay their school fees. I didn’t have a car but now I have my own car. I also intend to buy one for my wife. We can continue to make excuses for all we care but brother, when you make up your mind to do something like marriage, once your mind is set and you pray about it, heaven begins to create ways for you. I got this job after I got married. I got my car almost three months after our wedding and so on. Wole, once you are sure she is the one, you guys should sit down and plan together. That’s why she is in your life.  You would be amazed how much contribution a woman can make in your life. Bible says he that finds a wife, finds a good thing and obtains favor from the Lord. Favor is key bro.”
“Pastor Pappy Paulo. You are too much. I hear you but bro it’s not easy”
“Once your mind is set, all other things would begin to fall in place. Many times, we just have to believe God and use our faith.”
“You better get started with your work. No matter what you say I’m not waiting to assist you. Like I told you, someone’s waiting for me.”
“No problem. I’d manage.”
“Make sure to call your wife.”
“Yeah I’d call her now. She’s going to be very worried. I remember the look on her face when I left home this morning. You know, it is very heart rendering. That woman has been there for me all these years. I really want to do something great for her.”
“Don’t worry my brother. I believe you would be able to do it one day.”
“I believe so. So think about what I told you, Wole. Now,  I better get back to work now.”
Paul left the office.

Wole sat back with his head bow down. What Paul said made sense but he had to think this through. Getting married is not like getting in a relationship. He had two girls in his life and it was very difficult to decide whom he would choose as his wife. They were both good girls. They were beautiful. Even though one is taller than the other, they were both smart and intelligent women.
Bola had all it takes to make a good wife. She is smart, intelligent, beautiful and hardworking. She is very respectful and caring. Gentle, patient, a good cook, lovely handwriting, smooth velvety skin, long hair, long slim legs and she is a professional.
But Fatima on the other hand was a model. Very smart and tidy. Industrious and manages resources with so much finesse, you think she was born with it. Confident and daring. Speaks impeccable English and a go-getter any day. She is the shorter one but with a better feminine figure.

It was hard or almost impossible for Wole to make a choice. Maybe he would marry both of them he thought, smiling as he thought about how impossible that would be.
He had kept them apart from each other for two years and it was not getting any easy. He had to make a decision soon. The eventuality of the two finding out about each other scares him everytime. He knows if that should happen, he would end up loosing both of them and that would crack him seriously.
But who is the chosen one. He looked out the window and whispered. “God please show me who is the one for me. I love both of them and I’ll marry both of them if they agree. I can’t afford to loose any of them. I know this makes me a greedy person but Lord I really need to know which one of them would make a wonderful wife. Fatima or Bolaji?”

The receiver on his desk rang.
It was the company secretary. “Hello, Mr. Adebayo, you have a visitor waiting downstairs.”
“Did the person mention his or her name?”
“Yes, she gave her name as Bola. She said you would understand.”
“Ok. Tell her I’d be with her soon.”
“Ok sir.” The receiver went silent. He could hear the call end bleep coming from the other end.
Wole dropped the receiver. 
Then, he looked out the window. “God is that your answer? Is Bola the one? Lord I love Fatima too. I’m so confused.”
He got up and walked out of the office adjusting his shirt as he did so.

****************************************
CHAPTER 2 Coming Soon
****************************************
Please note that this material is covered by International Intellectual Property Law. No part of this material whether in part or as whole can be used, copied, redistributed, or sold without the express permission of the author. Any violation of any kind, would call for due prosecution

1 comment:

  1. I hope this is worth writing? Pls drop a comment. Thank you

    ReplyDelete