Friday 19 July 2013

Chapter 5


Hopeful
“No, you don’t understand…”
“Ok…? Maybe I don’t.”
Bimpe looked away. He looked really calm and confident. He also seemed like a nice person. But her emotions were struggling within. This was her second date after her breakup over 4months ago.
“I feel you are holding on to something in the past…”
“I’m not holding on to anything in the past. It’s just that I would rather not just rush into a relationship now.”
“Ok, no problem if that’s what you want, then that’s fine.” Eme continued with his dessert.
“I’m so sorry.” Bimpe tried to be polite.
“No. It’s ok.”
Bimpe knew she already liked him but there was something flashing a warning sign at the back of her mind. She had made up her mind that the next guy she dates would have to earn it. She was not going to fall prey to any man ever again. She had decided. She looked away again. At the other side of the café, she saw a couple playing and laughing. Seemed like they were the only ones in the world. She thought of how thet guy could be cheating on the lady without her knowledge. Never again, she thought.
Eme’s eyes followed where she was looking at. He smiled. Bimpe did not see the smile, however.
“So, what have you been up to lately?” Eme tried to start up a new conversation.
“”Well, not much. Sleep, wake up, go to work and do the same thing all over again… that is my story in a nutshell”
“That doesn’t sound like fun. You are joking right?”
“Nope” Bimpe shrugged.
“Common, you don’t go out at all. Maybe to the cinemas with friends or go swimming or to the gym…?”
“Well… I do but not often”
“No worries. I’d take you to really interesting places you might like.”
The warning bells rang again in behind her mind. “I guess I’m not the fun-seeking type.” She began to pick the cashew nuts from the ice cream.
“You know, you should find time to go renew yourself. Life is not all about work work work. We should find some time for fun just to relax”
“I hear you”
“So…?”
“So what…?”
“Would you allow me to show you some interesting places in town?”
“I’m not sure.”
Eme was looking directly into her eyes. It looked like he could see the struggle within her soul. She looked away.
“You don’t know or you don’t want to?” Eme asked calmly.
“I’m not sure. I don’t want to make promises I can’t keep…”
“Ok, let’s do this…” He had her attention. “I will call you tomorrow…”
He phone buzzed.
He reached for his hip pocket and brought out the phone. He looked at the screen.
“Please excuse me.” He stood up.
Bimpe just nodded.
She watched him as he made his way out. He was about 5’ 8 or 5’ 9, broad shoulders, lean muscles and well mannered. He had good looks going for him. He also struck her like a decent guy.
About four minutes later, he came through the entrance.
“Sorry for that.”
“No, it’s ok.”
“Yeah.”
When he sat down, he said, “You’ve barely touched your ice cream. Thought you liked that flavor?”
“The truth is, I’m filled up already. If I take anymore, I might puke.”
“Ok, please leave it then.”
Bimpe looked at her wristwatch.
“I really have to be on my way now.” She said.
Eme looked at his wristwatch as well. “Are you kidding? We’ve been here for over 2hours?”
“Yes and I told you I need to be somewhere by 8…”
“So sorry wasn’t looking at the time.” He gestured to one of the waiters.
“Where did you park your car?” Eme asked.
“Very close to the bank.” She replied.
“Oh ok. I parked on the other side of the road near the filling station.”
“Ok”
He paid and they walked out of the restaurant.
*   *   *

On the other side of the restaurant, Wole was with Fatima.
“You are not serious” Fatima said jokingly.
“I am. No seriously…” Wole said. “Anytime I’m with you, I always feel different…”
“How?”
“I don’t know how to explain but it seems I feel more relaxed. I mean, I feel very free with you…”
“I’m glad to hear that”
“I mean it though”
“I understand.”
“So have you gotten permission from your company to travel for your sister’s graduation?”
“Yes. It took some cajoling though. But I got it eventually.”
“So, you will be travelling next week then?”
“Next Wednesday.”
“Oh ok.”
“My parent would leave tomorrow”
“Great.”
“So what’s been happening at your company? You said a friend of yours was going to face a panel next week on the phone earlier…?”
“Yeah...” Wole said rubbing his hands on his head. “It’s a really interesting situation.”
“Ok…” He had Fatima’s attention.
“I have this colleague and also a close friend in some situation at work. Okay, he’s like one of the ace architects of the company and very well respected. Some weeks ago, he came up with a model. You know… it’s like a tangible representation architectural design.” He was trying to gesture what a model was.
“Yeah, I know what it is.”
“Well, it happens that some piece of the design was done by someone else and it’s a crime to steal people’s design without permission. Some intellectual property law is against such. You need express permission to go ahead with such. Honestly, a lot of people steal from design somewhere. But it’s interesting how he got caught…”
“Got caught? That means he must have been doing something wrong.”
“Not entirely. Most of the design he made was almost a complete redesign of the original design. My company is strongly against such and somehow, I really don’t know how, it seems someone hinted the company. We have looked at both designs. You won’t notice the resemblance except you have keen eyes.”
“Hmmm”
“This guy is one of the most upstanding person I know. And you know what’s funny?”
“I’m listening”
“Two weeks ago, rumor had it that he had been nominated for promotion…”
“Really? Ehya…” Fatima had a pity face.
“And what’s really painful? He works really hard. That particular design would have taken two weeks, he did it in a week.”
“So did he actually steal from the design?”
“He admitted that you used some of the design as inspiration for his own but who doesn’t take inspiration from others?”
“If the resemblance isn’t so obvious, what’s the drama about?” Fatima asked adjusting the hair that was coming over her left eye.
“Whoever did this to him must have really hated him and taken the time to detail information on how the difference can be detected. Honestly, it beats me.”
“So do you think they would send him off?”
“I honestly don’t know. If he is laid off, it’s going to affect me a great deal”
“You guys are really close?”
“He’s like a brother and confidant. You need to meet him.”
“Ehya… It’s such a pity.”
“Yes it is.”
“I wish I knew who did it?” Wole looked away to hide his anger.
“I pray that God helps him.”
“I pray ooo.”
Fatima stood up to adjust her hair. She pulled her hair back and held it behind in a ponytail.
“You look pretty either way. Your hair down or packed like you just did.”
“Thank you dear.” Fatima smiled.
Wole smiled back.

*   *   *

“So what was he like?” Excited Moji asked her friend.
“He was nice. And a gentleman too.” Bimpe replied her friend as she walked towards the fridge.
“Gist me. So you think you like him?”
“I cant say yet. It seemed like a nice guy sha but you know I need to also take my time.”
“So between himself and Jide, who do you think stands a chance?”
“Lord, Moji, are you going to ask me questions all through tonight?”
“No now. Just that it’s good to see you out of your shell after all this time.”
Bimpe was biting off from the chocolate she had taken from the fridge. “I shouldn’t be eating anything again ooo. Only seeing you eat the chocolate got me tempted.”
“So tell me now… haba. What did he look like?”
“He looked like a male homo sapien.” Bimpe laughed.
“Common jhoor”
“Ok. Since you will choke me if I don’t say anything, he’s cute. Very well mannered. Tall, not so dark and very confident. He talks gently”
“Go on…”
“What else do you want me to say? I don’t know what else you are expecting ooo?”
“At least like what were the things you guys talked about? Are you guys going to see again and all that?”
“Moji, you be correct aproko. I don’t know where to start but I had a nice time with him though.”
“And Jide?”
“I don’t know what to do now? They are both good guys. Seems like Eme is taller than Jide though but Jide is a lot bigger than Eme is.”
“Well, no need to rush. Eventually, one of them would be the fortunate guy”
“Na you sabi.”
“Well you just have to watch out for the signs?”
“Trust me my dear, once beaten twice shy. Im not going to let any guy play with my life ever again. It is terrible what these guys do these days. They walk into your world with all form of deceit and mess it up.”
“Yeah. Many of them do but not all…”
“Its detecting a genuine affection from a fake one that has become really difficult. I was looking at the guy today and do you know what was going on in my mind?”
“What?”
“I was wondering if he was one of those players. I have plans for them. Honestly, I have thought things through and believe me, any guy who wants to play with me will not believe what I will do.”
“Calm down. Haba, you just met the guy and you are already concluding?”
“No, I’m not concluding. I’m just making sure you understand where I stand.”
 “I need to shower now. I feel itchy already.”
“Ok. I hope you use Beauty Scent?”
“What's that?”
“My bathing soap.”
“Oh really? I thought you used one of those Lux brands? ”
“I stopped a long time ago.”
"I see."
Bimpe disappeared into her friend’s room.
 

****************************************
CHAPTER 6 Coming Soon
****************************************
Please note that this material is covered by International Intellectual Property Law. No part of this material whether in part or as whole can be used, copied, redistributed, or sold without the express permission of the author. Any violation of any kind, would call for due prosecution

No comments:

Post a Comment