Thursday 17 October 2013

Chapter 11

Is it over?

Wole stood at the door for a moment. He contemplated whether to push the door bell or walk away.
He placed his hand on the doorbell but stopped.
He put his face in his hands and turned away from the door. He was not sure what to expect.
After pondering over what to expect for a moment, he walked over to the doorbell and pushed the small white button.
A voice came from inside. “Who is it?”
“It’s me…”
“You who?”
Wole swallowed, “It’s me Wole…”
There was murmuring going on inside and then the voice said again, “What do you want?”
“Please, I would love to see Fatima.”
There was silence for a moment.
“She said she doesn’t want to see you” The voice from inside said.
“Fatima, I know you are in there. Please…” Wole called out. His voice was pleading.
“She’s not interested in speaking with you.”
“Fatima please… I beg you. I know you are mad at me and I’m the last person on earth you want to talk to right now but please, can we talk. I’d really love to explain…”
Then the door opened. It opened suddenly, it made Wole jump.
Fatima stood at the door. Her eyes were teary. She had been crying.
“Wole, I don’t know what in the world you want to say or what excuse you have to make…” her voice was shaky. It was obvious she was making an effort not to bust into tears.
“Please Fatima, hear me out…” He tried to cut in.
“Wole, I had to fight my parents because of you. They did not approve our relationship. My father said he won’t come for my wedding if I marry a westerner. Everyone thought I was crazy because I choose you over many suitors from my tribe. They told me westerners were not trustworthy. But I told them you were different. I practically told them to go to hell because I loved you…but see what I get…?” She was sobbing now.
Wole could not say a word.
“You know what Wole, please just go away.”  Aminat came out from behind her sister. She was angry. Her tone was unsympathetic. She was the voice speaking earlier.
Wole just stood dumbfounded.
“Men like you should be jailed and the key thrown into the ocean. Honestly, you do not know what you have done to her. We have fought on many occasions because of you. Imagine if she were your own sister and some guy treated her the way you have done? Would you like it? Huh? Please just leave and never come here again. Whatever you have to say is irrelevant. Please just go…”
Fatima walked past her sister back into the apartment.
Wole found his voice, “Aminat, you did not let me speak. You have not even heard my side of the story…”
“Listen to yourself. So you have a side of the story? Really? You want to explain what exactly? How…”
Wole ignored her. He walked past her into the apartment. He walked towards Fatima.
She was sitting in the living room. Wole walked up to her and knelt down with one knee.
“Fatima, I am sorry. I know there is nothing that I can say that will change anything. But Fatima… ”
Fatima stood up and wanted to walk away. Wole grabbed her hand. She yanked her hand off.
“Wole, respect yourself and leave. Keep the little respect you have and leave my house.  Just leave…” her voice was more controlled now.
Aminat came in behind her.
“You know what’s interesting? I went to see that Bolaji girl…” Aminat said.
Wole felt his heart sink. His face fell. Aminat noticed. Fatima too.
“Yes. I went to see her and asked her about you. She told me everything I needed to know. And trust me, I told her everything she also needed to know…”
“Aminat that’s ok. You have said enough.” Fatimat spoke to her sister.
Wole just stood at the same spot. His eyes were fixed on Aminat.
“Wole leave now…” Fatima was at the door now. She had it opened.
He walked out without saying a word.

* * *
“You are not getting any younger…”
“Mummy, do you want me to just go and marry any man I see? I told you I’m seeing someone now…” Bimpe said.
She had gone to spend the weekend with her mother.
She was helping her to prepare dinner in the kitchen.
“I’m just concerned.”
“I know.”
“You know if you have your children early, you can spend the rest of your life with your husband in peace without the burden of raising a child in old age. Also, I’m growing old oooo. I want to see my grandchildren.”
“Mummy, God will keep you alive and healthy. You will see your grandchildren and even your great grandchildren.”
“Amen. I just don’t want you taking too long to settle down.”
“I won’t take too long.”
“So tell me, what does the guy you are dating do?”
“He works with MTN.”
“What’s his name and where is he from?”
“His name is Jide Ilori and he is from Osun state.”
“Osun state is ok.”
“Mummy, you and all this your tribalistic opinion. We are in the 21st century and things have changed…”
Her mother ignored her. She opened the pot where she was boiling meat and added spice to it.
“My daughter, whether you like it or not, some tribes are not worth getting involved with and that’s the truth. Yes we are in the 21st century but some people have not changed. Anyway, so hope this one is serious?”
“Mummy that’s why I’m not in a hurry. I have learnt my lesson.”
“I understand. So do you think he is ready to marry you…?”
“Mummy…”
Her mother shrugged.
“I’m doing my duty as a mother.”
“I know mum.”
“Just make sure he is a serious guy.”
“Don’t worry about that. That one is for sure.”
“Ok ooo. Just hurry up. I need to carry my gele.”
“You will mum.”
Bimpe poured the cleaned vegetable in a pot to steam it. Her mother was stirring the meat.
“So tell me, what kind of guy is he?”
“He is decent. Looks like he was properly brought up. He is a good Christian and very hardworking.”
Her mother was looking at her now. She was studying her.
“Do you love him?”
“Mum, I can’t say I love him yet. We are barely two months in this relationship. I know you will ask why I’m just telling you now.”
Her mother nodded.
“I wanted to be sure before I told you.”
“Well… that’s good.”
“But I think we are making head way.”
“Just make sure you are very careful.”
“Mummy, is it me you are telling…?”
“Ok, may God direct you.”
“Amen.”
They started to dish the dinner.

* * *
“But how did it happen?” Kojo asked.
Patrick took a long sigh.
“KJ, honestly I don’t know…”
“This is not good for your marriage at all.”
“My wife said she’s going to leave me…” Patrick looked away. A deep regret flooded his expression.
“What did she say?”
“She said a lot KJ. She said a whole lot…”
“But how come? Who are these so called ‘fidelity Watchers’ or what is it they call themselves?”
“I had some of my men check them out. It is a highly cagy organization. I was told you need an insider to get to them. Anyway, somehow my men were able to get me info about them. It’s a really covert organization. They are very organized. There mode of operation is clandestine to say the least…”
“Really?”
“Yeah. And interestingly, the brain behind the whole operation is a woman.”
Kojo raised his eyebrow.
“Seems like some really angry woman…”
“They actually have units in all states of the country and wealthy folks pay highly for their services.”
“Interesting.” Kojo nodded.
“I heard they were going to expose two senators last week. They had all incriminating evidences against them. I mean, these guys are good. You need to see the pictures of me they took. When I saw it, my jaw dropped.”
“Do you know the senators?”
“Yeah. Senator Amadi Rufus and Senator Nani Bello.”
“You must be kidding me…” Kojo put his glass of whiskey down.
“I’m serious…”
“But are these guys working within the ambit of the law?”
“You tell me.”
“Sentiments aside, these covert operation is non-constitutional and against the laws of human rights.”
“Kojo, you can go and argue your case in the court of law. But right now, my marriage is in big trouble…”
Kojo said nothing for a moment.
Then he said, “i really don’t know what to say…”
Patrick looked at his friend. He handed him his phone. “That’s one of the pictures. My wife sent that picture to me while I was out of the country…”
Kojo took the phone and looked at the picture.
There was the picture of a lady in yellow bikini sitting on top of Patrick’s laps. She was smiling. It was Jennifer.
Seemed like that old familiar spider crawled up Kojo’s back. He looked at the picture again. Her smile was all too familiar.
He returned the phone.
“Woow.” That’s some clean shot.
“Tell me about it.”
“Was that taken in Lagos?”
“No. Now that’s the problem. I made sure my dealing were not anywhere near Lagos. It was too risky. That was in Bayelsa. That tells you how effective this covert organization operates.”
“Interesting.”
“When I saw that picture, I thought my heart would skip. I did not pick her call or call her two days after. I was too shocked. What kind of excuse can you give?”
“It could have been computer imaging or what do they call that thing..?”
“Photoshop you meant?”
“Yeah, Photoshop.”
“KJ, there were too many pictures to prove that stretch wrong. Also, they had voice calls…”
“What?! They eavesdrop calls too?”
“Apparently.”
“No, no, no. that’s blatant invasion of privacy.”
“If you were wearing my shoes, would you say that with confidence?”
“Of course…”
“I don’t think so. If Tadeke finds out you are cheating on her, trust me, it will crush you… You think you are a man until you are faced with the same thing you have tried so hard to conceal and it falls foolproof into the hands of the very person you are hiding it from.”
Kojo swallowed.
The spider seemed to be playing somewhere inside his stomach now. The feeling was upsetting.
“I thought I could talk through this with my wife, but when I saw her face to face, it broke my heart.”
“It will.”
“And that girl on that picture… she is mad. She called me two days ago telling me she was pregnant and wants to keep the baby. I entertained the thought of killing her. Seriously. ” Patrick clenched his jaw.
Pregnant? She is pregnant for both of us? That girl is just a liar.  Kojo thought.
“Kill her? No Patrick, don’t engage such thoughts.”
“With all I have already, she’s telling me such stupid and foolish things. She better not show up anywhere around me. I would be tempted greatly and I have a strong feeling I might fail that temptation.”
“Don’t let her get to you. Many of these girls always come up with such lies to get your attention…”
“And pregnancy is her best bet. She must be stupid!”
“She might threaten to tell your wife about it…”
Patrick raised his left eyebrow.
“Sounds like you know them very well…”
“Let’s just say, I have had my fair share.”
“Hmmmm.  Really?”
“Yeah.”
“KJ, you mean you…”
“No not exactly. I just got carried away at some point. But its all in the past now.”
“Lucky you. You did not get cut.”
“I don’t know how to respond to that statement. Honestly. Is that good or bad?”
“From my point of view, that’s good.”
“I don’t know about that…”

“Trust me.
****************************************
CHAPTER 12 Coming Soon
****************************************
Please note that this material is covered by International Intellectual Property Law. No part of this material whether in part or as whole can be used, copied, redistributed, or sold without the express permission of the author. Any violation of any kind, would call for due prosecution

No comments:

Post a Comment