Friday 15 November 2013

Chapter 14

Full Brunt

“I said you should stop yelling at me!” Daniel voiced in anger. He was furious.
Victoria ignored him.
“What are you going to do? You shameless man! You chase after everything in skirt like goats…”
Daniel was on his feet now.
“I’m warning you this woman. Stop yelling at me. Are you mad?” he was pointing fingers in her direction.
“No. I don’t know what kind of man goes around sleeping with women outside and comes back home to his wife shamelessly. You are shameless Daniel!”
Daniel walked away. He went into his room and slammed the door shut.
Victoria went after him.
“I’m not finished with you yet. You think I don’t see all the text messages they send to you. Do you know how many calls I have picked in your absence? You shameless fool. Useless husband! Your mates are out there succeeding at great things, you are there chasing after girls. You are shameless! Why don’t you come out here all let me see your face!!!”
She was at the door to his room shouting.
She banged on his door furiously. She did it so many times her hands were sore.
“I have had it with you Daniel. I have kept quiet all this time but I can’t tolerate your infidelity anymore. You just became a father but that did not change you. What are you looking for outside that I don’t have? You would go out there to contact one of those diseases and unleash it on me. You are shameless! Very shameless. You even went after my own friend? How low can you get Daniel? Isn’t there any form of self-respect in you? Shameless idiot! Foolish man! Why don’t you come out here and face me? Anyone who sees you outside would think they have seen a man. You are just a nuisance. Sleeping with everything in skirt. God! How did I end up with this useless man!!!”
Her voice was raised so much the house help rushed in.
“Madam…”
“Where is my baby?” She yelled at the help.
“She dey sleep ma.” The help calmly replied.
“Ok, go and prepare something for dinner.”
“Yes ma.”
The house help walked away. The tone her employer was speaking to her with wasn’t in anyway comforting.
Victoria went back to banging the door. This time she held her shoe in her hand. She turned the heels over and banged it hard on the door. She was infuriated. The heels broke. She continued using it on the door.
“Why are you hiding inside there? Come out and face me. You shameless idiot! God will punish you for this shame you brought to this family…”
Suddenly, the door sprung open. Daniel pulled her with one hand and pushed her into the room.
Victoria was frightened for a moment. Then, she regained her composure. It happened so fast she almost tumbled over.
“You better shut up your mouth now or I shut it for you…” Daniel warned. The tone of his voice was deadly matching his expression.
“Shut my mouth for me? You must be very stupid. You should shut your own face…” Victoria replied without any obvious fear.
But before the words came out of her mouth, Daniel threw a punch that made a hit at the top of her left chin. It wasn’t a direct hit but it made its impact. She staggered and fell over knocking her head on the opened door of the wardrobe.
She scrambled back to her feet and went all fingers opened for his face. She kicked at him aiming for his groin but she missed. He caught her feet and pushed it aside.
She then jumped to strike him with her fingernails again—it was her obvious weapon. He turned quickly such that her aim missed. She staggered again but this time she did not fall. She threw a kick a second time that hit him on his right knee. He felt the hit. It was direct and impactful, almost surgical.
“You better warn yourself Victoria before I do something terrible…”
His voice was deep and deadly.
She ignored his warning and went again for his face. Her hand were a quarter of an inch from his face before he grabbed her hand and tossed her hard. She fell backwards and landed on the bed.
She was back to her feet in a second.
“You will kill me today…” She was breathing heavily now.
Daniel was much bigger and stronger than she was. So she jumped up on him. She was aiming to scratch him on the face. He managed to turn around but her long finger nails cut him on his left shoulder. Two deep lines made their way across from his shoulder to his back. He grabbed the hand and squeezed it.
She squealed.
He then went around till he was at her back. He held her two hands at her back, incapacitating her.
She felt pain across both of her shoulders. She screamed.
He released a little but not completely. It seemed the pain left her but she could not move herself. He held her in that position.
The path her fingers had made on his back was red with blood.
It stung him badly but he ignored.
“Now listen you stupid woman, you will only get yourself killed trying to fight with me… you need to shut up and stop yelling at me. And I mean right now. You are no match for me!” He yelled.
She struggled to yank herself free but his grip was tight. So she started to walk. She was hoping that it could distract him but he pulled her back quickly.
“Daniel, you are a shameless prick! You even have the guts to hit your wife. You are shameless and foolish. Its so obvious you have something missing in the head…”
“I said shut up!”
“I will not shut up! You are shameless and an idiot! You should be locked up!”
It seemed at that moment her hands were free. She pulled at them and she felt her left hand was free. She turned in that split second and she slapped him hard. It landed on his right cheek.
He staggered at the weight behind the slap.
Then he moved quickly and before she could turn, a slap went across her face. The slap knocked her over. She fell crashing on the vanish table, throwing all the contents on the table away.
She was dazed.
He did not hold back. He picked her up by her left arm and pushed her so hard she fell across the bed. Then he pulled out his belt, rolled the buckle across his palm letting the strap hold out free. Without hesitating, he hit her with it many times.
She squealed under the pain.
Then he yanked her away from the bed. He staggered under her weight. When he got to the door, he pushed her outside.
“Never ever in your life slap me again! Stupid woman!”
She fell across the corridor. She was in pain.
He slammed the door.

The house help came in with one of their neighbors.
They saw Victoria sprawled on the floor. She was crying.
They ran to her.
“Madam, are you ok?” The neighbor asked.
When Victoria raised her head, her left chin was red, the corner of her left eye was also swollen and they could see the line the strap of the belt had made on her shoulder.
They were horrified.
The neighbor went to the door of her husband’s room.
“Daniel, Daniel, open the door. What in Christ’s name came over you? Open this door.”
“What do you want?” Daniel asked from inside.
“It’s me Eweedo.”
“Guy, this is none of your business. Just go away.”
“I’m not leaving this place until you tell me exactly what is going on here. Have you seen your wife? You beat her black and blue. For God’s sake, Danny, wetin this woman do you like this…?”
“Ewee, this is my family’s business and none of yours. Just go away.”
“Its my business because we are family friends and we help each other. The way you have beaten your wife could land you in jail…”
Then, Daniel yanked the door open.
“Ewee, respect yourself, this is none of your business ok? Look at my back…”
He turned over. The two lines her finger made were swollen now.
“Jesus!” Eweedo exclaimed.
“So now you see. I was provoked. She even slapped me.”
“You are shameless…” Victoria managed to say.
She was sitting up now.
“You see Eweedo. This woman does not know how to talk. She has been abusing me all day. Calling me all sort of names….”
“But what happened?” Eweedo asked.
“Like I said, its none of your business…”
“He wanted to sleep with one of my friends. She called me to tell me…” Victoria cuts in quickly
“Eweedo, you see this woman is just plain stupid. Why would I sleep with her friend? Am I stupid?”
“Ok, you guys should calm down. We need to investigate this and resolve it.” Eweedo tried to control the situation.
“Eweedo, thank you. Leave this to me. It’s my family’s business…”
“Please don’t leave me in the hands of this stupid, useless and ungrateful idiot who call himself a man…”
“Eweedo you see what I say? She has been calling me all sorts of nasty names all day. Who would not get provoked? Ehn, tell me. You hear her!”
“Victoria, calm down. Stop abusing your husband, it is not right.”
“So, is it right for him to beat me like this. Walahi, Daniel you will pay for this. I promise you. You this useless, good-for-nothing, prostitute idiot. You will pay for this….”
“Eweedo, please just go. I have this under control.” Daniel said walking towards his wife.
Eweedo knew what would happen next so he stood in between them.
“Daniel, I was at your weeding. I saw you make a vow before God to this woman. Don’t do something you will regret the rest of your life. You have done enough damage already.”
“Eweedo, its either you get this woman out of my house now or else I will do something I will regret.”
“Calm down Danny. She is your wife not just some woman. You guys have had some misunderstanding and clearly both of you are not sure which part is true and which part is false. Come Danny lets go outside.”
Eweedo pulled his friend by the hand who followed diffidently.
Daniel looked in the direction of his wife. She was talking to the house help. She had her phone in her hand.
He knew who she was going to call but he was nonchalant.

*         *         *
The living room was small. It had two small sitting sofas. There was a center table and a shelf that housed a 21inch Panasonic television and a small DVD player. It was not a big living room but it was neat.
Uncle James and Aunty Patricia were sitting on one sofa while Francis and Christine sat on the other.
“So you understand what I’m telling you now abi?”
“Uncle we can’t follow you to the village. We have a life here in the city.” Francis answered.
“What life do you have here, eh, tell me Francis, what life?”
“Uncle, Christine will be through with her education soon we can’t afford to come this far and throw it all away…”
“Who is saying anything about throwing it all away? I’m talking about your upkeep. Now that your mother is dead, and you don’t have a job and your sister is still in school, how would you make ends meet?”
“Uncle, we will find something to do that can earn us money...” Christine spoke up.
Aunty Patricia laughed.
“When your mother was alive, you did not find something to earn you money, it is now you want to start, eh? You better be sensible and follow us to the village.”
“Aunty, Uncle, we will survive here in the city. The spirit of our mother will guide us. We will find a way…?”
“Common, shut up there! The only reason why I’m doing this is simply because your mother is my immediate elder sister. If not I will not even bother. Do you think it’s going to be easy for me too…?”
“That’s the reason why we say we would like to stay in the city so we would not become a burden to you. We would find a way somehow…”
Then Aunty Patricia spoke, “You see, you these children of now adays, when you grow up in the city, you think you have all the knowledge in the world.  You see, when my brother said I should follow him to speak with you, I told him you will not listen. Brother James let’s leave these children alone. ”
“Wait first Pat. These children are like my own. So tell me Francis you don’t have a job abi? Tell me, how do you intend to fend for yourself and your sister.”
Francis and Christine looked at each other. Christine nodded.
“Uncle, this is what we have decided…”
Uncle James adjusted. They had Aunty Patricia’s attention.
“We have decided to start running our mother’s restaurant.”
Uncle James looked at Aunty Patricia. They laughed.
“Common, don’t dishonor the legacy of your mother. Let her spirit rest. Did you hear yourself?”
“Uncle what did I say wrong now?”
“You don’t have money. You don’t have the skill. And on top of that, you are a man. Why would a man be doing kitchen work? That’s against our culture. That kind of work is for women…”
“Uncle , you are right. I will be the one in charge of cooking, Francis would just be doing the maintenance…” Christie added quickly.
“What is the difference, cooking in the kitchen and maintaining the kitchen is the same thing…”
“You two are obviously not serious?” Patricia asked. Her left eyebrow was raised.
“We are.” The both said.
“And Uncle, maintenance and cooking in the kitchen are not the same thing. He would be in charge of making sure food stuff is available. He will make sure that salaries are paid and all that. He won’t have to do any cooking at all…”
“But wait oo. Before you start running your mouth, are you not supposed to be in school?” Patricia cuts her.
“Aunty, I will be writing my final exams in about two months from now. I will be done with school very very soon.”
“Oh really?” Uncle James asked.
“Yes Uncle.”
“That’s great to hear. I will not say I agree with what you young ones are saying but it seems your minds are made up.”
They nodded.
“I told you before not to worry yourself. I know these children even when their mother was alive, na so they go dey talk. Nothing wey you wan tell them…”
“We are not that bad oo aunty Patricia.”
Patricia stood up from the sofa and went inside the room.
“I’m glad your mother built this place so at least you children can see somewhere to put your head. We were planning to sell the house before but since you two want to stay here, I guess we have no choice.”
“We want to stay here.” Francis replied.
“Ok, if that is what you want, I have no problem with that.”
Uncle James stood up and left the room.

“Thank God, it went well…” Christine said
“Yes thank God. But we need to see Aunty Yemisi as soon as possible. We need to start preparing for ourselves.”
“Let’s go and see her later today.”
“Yeah, we should go later today.”
“In the meantime, I need to fix my hair. It’s like two months now.”
She now made a funny face, “can I get some money from you?”
“I don’t have a lot, but I can manage 3,000 naira…” Francis answered.
“Ok, thank you. I will add it to the 2,000 that I have.”
“When are you going to fix it?”
“I want to help Aunty Patricia wash some of her clothes before I leave.”
“Ok, I also want to help Uncle James with his clothes as well.”
“Let’s go and wash them together then.”
“Sure.”
*         *         *
Her hair dazzled under the setting yellow sun. She looked very beautiful. Her long legs were slim and straight and every step was taken almost like they did not touch the ground. She walked with confidence and angelic grace. The smile that crossed her face brightened her eyes. She was simply breadth taking.
She walked towards Wole.
His heart beat began to increase. But she was not angry. She was just smiling.
“Hello Bolaji”
“Hi”
He did not know what to say.
She joined him on the beach bench.
“I’m not mad at you anymore.”
Wole still could not find his words. He felt ashamed.
“It’s ok Wole, I have forgiven you. I prayed about it and I thought if you were not serious about us, you would have made an effort to explain your self.”
“I’m so sorry.” He barely made the words out of his mouth.
“It’s ok. As long as you decide that going forward, you will be faithful to me…”
“I promise you, I will. I’m really sorry. I feel very terrible.”
“It’s ok. You came to the beach alone?”
“Yes, I’ve been worried for a while now. I just thought I should come out and get some fresh air.”
“Yeah, there is always fresh air at the beach. You know I really love the beach”
“Yes, I do remember.”
“What about you, are you here alone?”
“No, I came with a group of friends. I just sighted you. They are over there.” She pointed in the direction where a group of young people were seating. They all looked happy. One of the girls waved at Bolaji. She waved back.
“Seems you guys came out to have fun…”
“Yeah, they are colleagues from the office. We just decided to go out this weekend.”
“Interesting.”
Now, Bolaji was looking directly into Wole’s eyes. He could not keep the stare so he looked away.
“Wole, do you love me? Do you really love me?” she was looking directly into his eyes.
“Bolaji, I will turn the world around if I have to to prove that I love you.”
“Really?”
“I mean it.”
“So what about the other girl, Fatima?”
He swallowed.
“It’s over between us. I promise you that. I’m a totally changed man now. I’ve learnt from my foolishness and I’m wiser now.”
“Good. You know Wole, I love you a lot. My friends told me it’s foolish to come back to you. They said I should be wise and not act out on my emotions but I tried, I could not do it. It’s been over two months and I can’t stop thinking about you. I have tried to date other guys, it all went sour. Not that they were not good guys, it’s just that they did not meet up to what I’ve come to appreciate in a man like I was with you. I began to hate you so much that I would have killed you if I had the chance. But… I had to forgive you because I loved you… I ;love you so much Wole and God knows I still do. Right now, I don’t know if I’m being stupid or brainwashed. I… I love you Wole. You broke my heart. You really did but I found a way to forgive you. A friend of mine actually said he sees you many times at this beach whenever he comes and that you are always deep in thought and alone.”
“I love you too Bolaji. I have been a stupid young man to throw away the blessing I was given. Honestly… I don’t know what to say. I do not deserve your trust anymore but I promise never to break your heart again. Never. I’m ready to start all over again.”
“I just hope not because if you do, I will kill you and kill myself…”
“God forbid. It will never get to that.”
She leaned her head of his shoulder.
He could smell the familiar scent of her cologne.
“Your friends are looking over here…”
“Let them look, do you care…?”
“No.”
“I want them to look at us.”
Wole said nothing. He just smiled and looked across the wide endless sea. The waves came close to where they sat before it pulled back.
He could not contain the joy that enveloped him at that moment. The joy swept through his body. Paul must hear about this, he thought to himself.
“So what now?” she asked.
“I don’t know dear.”
“I think I do…” She said raising her head up from his shoulder.
She smiled.
He looked at her questioningly.
She said nothing.
Then it struck him, let’s get married.
“Hmmm. I see…” He said.
She looked away in the direction of her friends who were having fun without her.
He wasn’t sure what she meant but was careful to ask. He thought of the best way to get what she meant but all the ways he thought would give him away if they were not thinking the exact same thought.
He decided to take his the risk. Its either she says no or yes. Nothing more than that!
Slowly, he said, “Bolaji, will you marry me….?”
It was like at that moment, her eyes lighted up.
She looked down at her fingers, shy.
“Yes” She said barely audible.
“I didn’t hear your response.”
Their eyes met.
“Yes.” Her eyes were dancing.
Like a startled bear, Wole jumped to his feet and scooped her from the seat. He held her up in a close embrace.
Her eyes were teary.
He dropped her after and reached for his pocket. The small velvet box had always been with him. He went on one knee and said again, this time he was very confident.
She covered her mouth with her hands.
“Bolaji, marry me and make my world better.”
“Yes I will marry you Wole.”
She stole a glance on the direction of her friends. She could register their surprise too. They were looking in their direction. It seemed everyone had stopped dancing and were looking at them.
The ring was beautiful.
They kissed.
“I would love to share this with my friends….”
“Please do.” Wole was more than overjoyed.
He watched her make her way to her friends who were waiting expectantly for her arrival.
It was a wonderful feeling.
The waves of the sea washed up again. This time they came very close to his feet. He reached out his feet until the waves got close and wrapped around his bare feet.

Suddenly, there was a shrieking sound that rang in his head.
It stopped. Then, it started again.
He opened his eyes.
He had been dreaming.

*         *         *
Tadeke and Michelle sat at the large open veranda of the Creason-Creme Hotel on the seventh floor.
The sun had set and the evening breeze was making its way across the open space.
There was a jazz band playing music in the big ball room behind them. There were few guests in the room.
“You look well” Michelle started.
“You don’t look bad yourself.”
“Really?”
Tadeke nodded, “Mhmmm.”
“its either you are lying to me or my mirror is broken. I feel awful my dear.”
Tadeke did not reply immediately. She let the words just slide. She knew her friend was hurting.
“So how has your stay here been?”
“Not bad. Their facility is on par and the attendants are very cordial. I almost feel at home sometimes.”
“I can imagine…” Tadeke had a smile crossing her face.
Her friend did not notice it. She was looking out into the open grey space.
“How’s your husband?” Michelle asked.
“He is fine thank you.”
Michelle was looking at Tadeke now.
“That’s good to know.”
“We thank God. So how have you been? How have you been holding up?”
“My dear, it’s not been easy. I rarely sleep. Most times I’m awake praying to God to help me. It’s not easy I tell you…”
Words failed—Tadeke had nothing to say.
So she swallowed some of the contents of her cup and allowed the silence.
They were both looking at the open grey space.
Michelle broke the silence but she wasn’t looking at her friend. She was still staring at into the open space.
“You know my husband has visited me four times in the past two weeks?”
“Really?”
“Yeah. He came pleading and begging for forgiveness but…”
“Men.”
“I don’t think I want to go back to my marriage.”
“Why?”
Now, she looked at Tadeke. “Would you?”
“I would consider it strongly.”
“You should count your blessing Tade. It’s not as easy as it sounds when the ball is in your court.”
“I know. Sincerely, I have not ceased one day to pray for you. I pray for you all the time because I know how hard it is.”
“It is ooo Tadeke. How can you live with a man you can’t trust anymore? Whenever you look at him, nasty images begin to fly across your mind…”
“I bought you a book by Paul Fisher.”
Tadeke brought out a book from inside her bag. It was a small hard cover text.
Michelle took the book from her friend. The face of a smiling woman was on the front cover. The same face was on the back cover but this time the woman was crying.  The words Forgive and Heal by Paul Fisher was boldly written on it with red ink. At the top was a small font text saying Best-selling Author. She opened it and went through the preface.
“It’s a really wonderful book. I have read it myself and honestly, I have peace inside than never before. You will learn how to forgive and heal with your confidence intact. I feel it might be something you might want to read.”
“Thank you. I will definitely read this.”
“Please do. I will be checking on you from time to time.”
“I will look forward to it. I need all the help and support I can get. And please don’t stop praying for me.”
“You can definitely count on that. I would not cease.”
An attendant walked up to them with a bucket of ice and a wine bottle.
They looked at him surprised.
“It was from one Kiesha Williams.” The waiter said.
“Who is Keisha Williams?” They said almost at the same time.
“She did not say much but asked me to drop this note with you.” The attendant gave the note to Michelle.
The two ladies looked at each other surprised.
“Keisha Williams. Doesn’t ring a bell.”
Tadeke gestured to the attendant to drop the bucket and wine on the table.
The attendant left them.
Michelle unrolled the paper and read the content.

Hello ladies,
I can see you are having a ladies time. I was just passing through and I saw you from a distance. I thought you ladies might need the bottle of wine.
With Love.
Keisha Williams.

Michelle looked dumbfounded. “Who is Keisha Williams?”
Tadeke collected the note and read it again.
“Keisha Williams? I know one Keisha but her surname is Daniels and shes not in the country as we speak. I know that for certain. And she definitely would not do this…” Tadeke said when she was done perusing the note.
“So who could have done something like this? And it seemed the person meant me to know who he or she is…” Michelle added.
“Looks so.”

Patrick sat some distance away from them and looked with amusement at how they tried to unravel the mystery lady—Keisha Williams.
He had come to talk to his wife when he noticed she was engaged with a friend. Instead of walking away, he decided to play a trick.
He sat back in his chair and watched as the two ladies looked around.
Tadeke was beckoning on the attendant.
The look of disgust and confusion was written on Michelle’s face.

Patrick smiled.
****************************************
CHAPTER 15 Coming Soon
****************************************
Please note that this material is covered by International Intellectual Property Law. No part of this material whether in part or as whole can be used, copied, redistributed, or sold without the express permission of the author. Any violation of any kind, would call for due prosecution

No comments:

Post a Comment