Thursday 12 December 2013

Chapter 16

Making the right choice

Helen put the small napkin that wrapped small ice blocks pellets on Jennifer’s face just around her left eye. It was swollen.
“Ouch!” Jennifer squealed. She pushed Helen’s hand away.
“Sorry, the thing is really swollen. You need to let me help you.” Helen said.
“It really hurts. Walahi, if I catch that woman outside again, I will beat her badly. It’s just because I was holding that cash…”
“You better stay away from that witch. See, she will beat you to death the next time. Look at yourself. She did a really good beating on you… ”
“My legs, my hands, my head…. Chei! Everywhere hurts…. I will kill that witch, I promise you.”
“Be like say she no beat you for head well. This attitude would do you something bad someday... Abeg, stay away from her ooo.”
Helen puts the ice pellets on Jennifer’s face again. This time Jennifer allowed it. She moved a little under the pain but she allowed her friend to massage the corner of her eye with the cold pellets.
Helen continued, “So what do we do now…?”
“We… go leave the country ni.”
“As in, travel abroad?”
“No, go to Ghana or South Africa and lay low for sometime.”
“Ghana or South Africa? Why?”
“It easier and faster to process travelling to these countries than trying to get American Visa. You remember say, Martins and his men go don begin find us.”
“Ok. So how do you keep the money?”
“We would share it into five parts. That’s like thirteen thousand dollars apiece. You will hold one piece; I will deposit another piece in the bank. Not one bank. I will deposit it into my two accounts. I will open an account with one of those struggling banks. They need money so they are not likely to want to shout about it. Martins also showed me how to start investment in stocks. I will invest some too. The land I bought last year. I will call my agent and give him some money to continue the work in earnest. I will send some home to my mother in the village and then to my brother in school. I will divide the money well. Don’t worry I have plans. We are also going shopping my dear.”
Helen sat beside her friend just taking it all in. she respected Jennifer. She knew Jennifer would have done better if she had just decided to focus on a good career.
“The thirteen thousand you are giving me is for what…?”
Jennifer adjusted and looked at her friend. She cocked her eyes.
“What do you mean what is the money for…?”
“I don’t understand what you want me to do…”
“Well, the money…. is for you to do whatever you want…
I know I could be greedy but I’m not that greedy… “ She coughs.
Helen could not believe what she heard. She looked at her friend in wonder.
“Are you sure?” A smile was beginning to open up her teeth.
“You deserve it…” Jennifer coughs.
“God go bless you well well. Ah, Jenny, this thing whey you do touch me walahi.”
“Why you think say na you I call? Na because na only you I fit trust. Shey na Bimbo, or Vanessa or Bola or Janet I wan call? All those girls will kill me for my money. But I trust you…”
“Thank you Jennifer. You don’t know how badly I need money now…”
“Na me you dey tell? We don dey this business how many years now…?” Jennifer tried to stand up from the bed. She moaned at the attempt. Her back was hurting.
Helen helped her up.
“Thank you… This woman nearly kill me ooo. Na God just save me.”
“If that woman stays in this hotel, you will need to be careful how you move around…”
“Me go dey dodge for that witch? Me, Jennifer? Lailai…” She coughs again.
Helen rubs her back.
“Sorry. You just need to be very careful sha.”
Jennifer went over the chair in the living room and sat down. She stretched her leg on the soft foot stool. She could see the scar of where Michelle had dug her fingers. She felt hurt all over her body.
Helen joined her on the chair. Jennifer was holding the ice bag on her eyes. The ice was melting has the resulting water was running down the side of her left chin unto her shoulder. It made its way down to her belly button. Helen helped to clean it with a clean cloth.
“Bring it. It seems the ice has melted.”
Jennifer handed it over.
“But Jenny, I told you to be careful with these married women ooo. This one would have killed you. If na only two of una dey, she for kill you…”
“Kill me ke…? Lailai. I for break her head. I bust her mouth na. Me Jennifer, Kill me ke? Na me say make them no sabi ginger their husband…? Tell me, na me?”
“I tell you say all these dollar young men are better. You have nothing to worry about…”
Jennifer coughs again. This time, albeit louder than before.
Helen gives her water to drink.
She drank and waited till she got her breathe under control.
“Those boys are useless. Yes, they get the money ooo but na everytime body dey scratch them and how many times person won dey service engine in a day… ? For morning na so dey go stand attention. For afternoon, samething and for night na all through… Some of these useless boys go don drink alomo sotey, na you go tire… But…”
A pang of pain shot through her left legs. She held her breathe.
Helen noticed it and rubbed her back again.
“Ok, e don do. When you don rest well today, we go go hospital tomorrow.”
“Hospital ke…?”
“She fit don break one of your bones… Make we go check am…”
“No be me and you. You know where Martins and his men go dey now dey find me…? No worry, I get faith. Na me go overcome that witch.”
Helen went on her knees and began to massage her friend’s legs gently. Jennifer twisted and turned under the pain that gripped her body.
After a while Helen stopped.
Jennifer felt relieved as the pain seemed to have subsided.
“So what do we do now?” Helen asked.
“I need to get better before I can embark on any adventure now. So for now, we’ll just lay low…”
“Does Martins know you use this hotel?”
“No. Never. You dey fall my hand ooo.”
“How naa?”
“How I wan take do that kind thing..? How? If…” She coughs again.
“Sorry take it easy.” Helen consoled.
Jennifer nodded.
When she could talk she said, “Martins only knows my house. And he knows some of my friends but he doesn't know you. So you can see why you qualified?”
“You know, I have wanted to ask you... how did you do it?”
“Do what?”
“Knock out the Chief… How did you get away with it...?”
Jennifer smiled.
“Men are useless when the thought of sex has taken over their minds. That’s when we women have the power to control. Honestly ehn, men are easy to deal with. Any woman that knows how to play with a man’s mind sexually, gba, that na real power. Forget say oje dey. You just have to know what buttons to press. Ok, so I went to his office looking downright sexy. Oh, girl, I was dressed to kill mehn…. Ouch…” Jennifer stretched.
”What’s the matter?”
“It’s my back. It hurts badly. That witch sat on my back and e be like say the thing wan break…”
“Will you lie down on your chest so I can help you apply balm on your back…?”
“I no mind… But first make I gist you finish. So, I was saying that we women don’t know how much power we have over men. I was dressed to kill. I wear one of my short dresses. Tight dress. You sabi that my very short, figure hugging gown. That peach V-neck lace?”
Helen nodded.
“All my weapons just dey show light. When I was going to his office, come see as all him bodyguard dey look me. Me sef I know say no man go see me the way I dress and no go wan sleep with me. Anyway, when I reach chief office, him dey hold one big bag. Na that bag I take all the money. As he see me, na so he begin lick him lips. The guy could not get his hands off me. Na everywhere he just dey touch for my body. I come begin give am massage. The guy like that thing ehn, he just stretch for he office chair…” She adjusted again. Her back pain stung her again.
Helen noticed and said, “Jenny, let me apply the balm for your back. You go continue when you don wake up…”
“I’m almost done. So, I dipped my hand in the powder. Just slightly. He did not notice. So at one point, he started to suck my fingers. That’s how he sucked the powder. I hear that thing is almost tasteless.”
“That was not sufficient enough na.”
“Wait naa. So I got up to get some water to drink. I asked him if he would love some. He said yes. He was watching me when I was pouring the water into the cup. While he was drinking the water, I went into his bathroom and put some of the powder on myself. And you know, the rest is history…”
“Chei! Men are damn useless. That’s how one came to me the other day speaking grammar. Looking at this guy, you will know he had money. Before I knew what was going on, his hand was under the table reaching for my thighs. I beat his hands off. This guy reached into his pocket and dropped five hundred dollars on the table. Jenny, na till dawn me and this guy dey. Till day break my dear…”
Jennifer stood up from the chair. She walked to the bed and laid down on her chest. She was feeling dizzy.
Helen took some balm and began to massage it into Jennifer’s back.
“Men will always fall victim as long as they can’t keep their libido under control.” Helen said.
“Mhmmm… Ouch! Small small please…”
“Sorry.”
Jennifer began to yawn.
She began to massage again. This time, she very gentle.
Jennifer yawned again.
Helen smiled.
She had her own plan.

*        *        *
The Chief was enraged. He was shouting at everyone in the line of his sight.
“If you have to clean out every place in Lagos, do it. You must find that girl! It is almost 3days and you are still telling me she is no where to be found?”
Martins spoke, “She might have left Lagos…”
The Chief gave Martins a rather irritated look.
“That bitch!” He yelled.
He was breathing heavily. He picked up his glass cup and smashed it against the wall in anger.
Martins adjusted in his seat.
All his head security personnel’s were in his office. He was snarling at everybody. He was obviously furious.
He stood up from his chair and paced the room. Then he turned to Martins with cold black eyes, “Are you sure you have nothing to do with this…?”
Martins swallowed. “No sir. How could I?”
The Chief’s eyes were intently focused on Martins. He was trying to read his expression. He was looking for signs, obviously.
After a few minutes, he looked at the other men in the room.
“Did anyone see her at anytime?”
The black spider that crawled up Martins chest seemed to be finding its way somewhere else. He relaxed.
“The last time I saw her was the day before she stole the money. She was just leaving her apartment. She was getting in a cab with some traveling bag… I assumed she was traveling.”
The chief pondered over it for sometime.
“She must still be in Lagos somewhere. Maybe in a hotel or a friend’s place. Go and search the house of all her friends. Threaten them if you need to. Just get me back my money! Today!”
The men began to take their leave one by one. His instruction was clear. Get the money. Kill Jennifer if you need to. Just bring the money back.
The chief does not joke. And everybody knew that.
He called on Martins, “Stay back for a moment.”
“Ok sir.”
When everyone else had left the room, the chief turned and faced Martins.
“Martins, I beg you, did you help her to do this?” His voice was calm. Almost unreal.
“Chief, why would I do something like that? You know me very well. I’m not that kind of guy. Chief you know me.”
The chief walked to his desk and poured out some scorch into another glass.
He drank a little and sat down. He crossed his leg. His eyes were still looking at Martins.
“Martins, if I find out you have anything to do with this… you know what I’m capable of…?”
“You don’t have to worry sir. I have nothing to do with this.”
“Ok. Please help me find that bitch. I find it really hard that she went through my security men. What were those men thinking?” He sighed.
Martins turned to leave the room.
“Make sure you find her Martins, make sure you do.”
“Yes sir.” Martins replied and left the room.
The Chief stood up to his feet and started to curse.
“That bitch! If I lay my hands on her, I will make sure she lives to remember me for the rest of her life…”
He paced the room. His lighted a cigarette.
He tried to dial her number. There was no response. He tried it again but he did not get a response. He was not expecting her to pick his call. He just hoped she did.

One of the men walked into the room.
“Chief, we spoke to some of the tenants in the apartment. They said they saw her leaving some days ago. She obviously had moved out of the house before she came to see you. ”
With a cocked eye, the Chief said, “So how does that help…?”
The man adjusted his stance. They all respected the Chief. He was a mean man when he wanted to be.
“We were told she said she was moving to another house…”
“And you have the address of this new house…?”
“We are on top of that now sir.”
“Until you have her, don’t bore me with such gibberish.”
“Yes sir.”
When the man turned to walk out, the Chief said, “Saheed, I can’t loose that money. You understand that…?”
He nodded.
“And you guys should look for her friends. Someone would know something. And I want you to keep an eye on Martins for me. I have a feeling he knows something.”
“I understand sir.”
Saheed closed the door behind him when he left the office.
The Chief sat on his chair and wondered how he had been fooled by such a little familiar trick. He was grateful she had not drugged him to death though. But, he was going to find her. Even if he had to turn the whole police in the state in her wake, he would do that.

He looked at his wristwatch. It was 9:28pm. He stood up from the chair and went over to the big cabinet in his office where he kept his stack of cash. He was going to pull every string to find her.

*        *        *
The street was a long stretch and dirty. The road was untarred and littered with nylon, paper bags, empty water canisters, and all kind of debris.
There was a refuse dump in front an unfinished building. The refuse was so much it was pouring unto the road. Many of the residents were in no way concerned about the stench. They were obviously used to it.
The paint on many of the buildings had almost peeled off; the effect of neglect and total abandon. The place looked like the haven of hoodlums and prostitutes.  There were only a handful of girls who dressed properly. It seemed they were in every corner beckoning on any new passerby.
The smell of cannabis was heavy in the air. Kids with almost no clothing were running around the dirty street. Many of them looked malnourished.

Christine held tightly to her brother’s hand.
“This does not look like a good idea…?” She asked him.
“Just hold on to me. We are almost at her place.”
“I’m so scared. Look at the way they are looking at us.”
“Don’t look directly into their eyes. Just ignore them.”
“Ok.”

They made a left turn at the end of the street that led through one narrow path. The path was dark and a little quiet. There were two men sitting outside on a small bench. They were drinking something that was served to them by a woman.
They looked up at the two new comers as they approached them.
“Good afternoon sirs” Francis said.
“Afternoon” One replied not giving them any attention.
“Please sir, we are looking for Aunty Yetunde…”
The woman serving the men their drinks pointed them to a small shop about 20meters away.
“Thank you.” They both said, almost together.

They walked into the shop. Immediately they entered, Aunty Yetunde saw them and was shocked.
“Shwooo, Franca and Christy. Na wa ooo. Wetin carry two of una come my shop this afternoon? Una welcome.”
“Aunty we come see you.”
“Ehen. Hope no problem?”
“No.” They replied.
“Make una sidon I dey come.”
They both sat down. She turned and asked them, “Wetin una go like drink, food never ready.”
“Nothing.” They said.
“Ok.” She disappeared behind one small door.

Some minutes later, she appeared. She had changed her clothes and probably washed her face. It looked washed.
“So how una dey? Na wa ooo. This una mama death pain me well well ooo.”
“Abi oooo.”
“But how una dey?”
“Aunty we are ok.”
“Na wa. This life sha.”
They looked at each other like who was going to speak first.
Christy decided to speak.
“Ehn, aunty Yetunde, we need your help.”
Aunty Yetunde adjusted in her seat. She seemed not to like where this was going.
“Eeyah. Things hard for everybody…” she cuts in quickly.
“No, no no. No be money matter carry us come.”
“Ok. Sorry. So wetin come carry una come all the way here?”
“We want to start our mama restaurant back…”
She was taken aback. “Una wan start una mama restaurant?”
“Yes aunty Yetunde and we need your help. We go need many things to take do this business but as we no sabi, we go need your help…”
She looked at each of them.
She started to smile.
“The business get plenty wahala ooo. And na money. Una mama try very well. How una wan take get money to take start? Because we go need firewood, we go need water, we go need kerosene, we go need girls wey go cook and those wey go serve. We go need food plenty. We go need pot and spoon. We go need many things.”
“We go dey do am small small” Christine said.
“Ok. That one sef go good. So first una good need foodstuff. ”
“You talk say we go need pot?” Francis asked.
Aunty Yetunde nodded.
“But I remember say our mama get all the pot and plates whey she need that time, why we go need buy another one…?” The questions seemed to poke at Aunty Yetunde’s conscience. She was not sure whether they knew or not. She had taken some of their mother’s properties to start her own restaurant. And here were the children nosing into her business.
“I know whether all the things wey she get there still complete oo. I hear say some girls thief some of her things.”
“Be like so. Because the last time wey we go check, many thing don miss.”
Aunty Yetunde adjusted her wrapper. She could smell a rat. She did not like where this seemed to be going.
“I know know anything sha…”
Christine cuts in, “We don go see some of the girls as some of our mama friend sabi where dem dey live. Many of them talk say na you carry all the pots and plates.”
Aunty looked surprised.
“Me? Those girls don mad for head. Me, I go carry your mama pot and plates. Say wetin na…?”
While she was speaking, one of her restaurant attendants walked in. She was carrying a big brown food flask.
Immediately Christine saw it, she recognized it. It was one of their mothers.
Francis tapped her on the knee under the table. He recognized it too but he did not want her to talk about it. Christine was about to say something but she stopped. She understood what her brother meant—don’t say anything yet,
So he said, “Aunty Yetunde, you know say na you our mama trust pass. Na for your hand she dey live her restaurant anytime she dey travel. And na for your hand the restaurant money dey go…?”
Aunty Yetunde agreed. She nodded in response.
“So how  you wan take help us? I know say all the pots no go disappear just like that. Maybe you no wan tell us who thief am but abeg help us…”
“So if I understand wetin you dey talk now, you dey talk say either na me thief am abi I sabi the thief abi?”
“No no be so aunty…”
“See ehn. Make una no allow make I vex for you here. Which kind talk be this? Una come my restaurant come dey call me thief. Be like say two of una dey mad for head. I resemble thief for your eyes…?”
Christine just lost it, “What are you saying aunty? Look at that cooler over there. That’s my mother’s cooler. And I can see some of her plates among those plates there too. Look at that pot at the corner, that our pot as well…”
Aunty Yetunde stood to her feet. Now she was fuming.
“Oya make two of una come dey go house now…which kind thing be this this afternoon? Na only your mama sabi go market to buy that kind plate, abi na cooler, abi na pot? Make una come dey go before I embarrass two of una for this place…”
Francis pulled on the arm of his sister. She was obviously angry and ready for a fight.
“Francis leave me alone!” She yelled at her brother. “This woman is a thief! When she noticed that we have caught her she now turned everything around…”
“You this small girl you better watch your mouth… I go beat you here now…”
“Why you go beat am?” Francis caught on the fury. Aunty Yetunde pushed on Francis, “Oya make you two comot for my restaurant now… na my area una dey ooo and dey go follow beat two of una come rape your sister on top…”
Francis became calm. But Christine was not deterred. She was not going away without giving this lady a piece of her mind.
She stood to her feet. She was taller than Aunty Yetunde but obviously younger and slimmer.
“You are a shameless woman. You stole from somebody that helped your family. She helped send your children to school. You are very shameless a woman, I tell you and God will reward you…”
Francis pulled at her arm. “Let’s go.”
She yanked her arm free from his grip.
Aunty Yetunde rushed at her. She moved away quickly to avoid the impact of the onslaught. Aunty Yetunde stumbled knocking off the cutlery on one of the tables. When she had regained her composure, she started to curse, “E no go netter for you. Na me you dey call shameless? You no go grow old. You no get respect abi? Me I don sabi you before say na proud person you be. But I go beat that thing comot for your body...”
Francis lashed out, “No dey curse my sister. Na that one I no go gree for you…”
Before he could say another word, she reached out and grabbed his shirt.
“Be like say you no sabi who I be abi?”
Francis pushed her away. She staggered a little but she was still holding on to his shirt.
“Be like say na even two of una kill una mama, Ogbanje children.”
At that point, Christine went hysterical. She launched herself at Aunty Yetunde and started throwing blows at her. Her blows were not hitting directly but randomly. Aunty Yetunde was also lashing out slaps and blows at her. Before long they both fell on the ground. Francis hurried and grabbed his sister from the blows. She was obviously taking more blows than the older woman. Before he finally pulled her off from the fight, she landed a slap on the woman’s face. It was direct and it was loud. The woman stood to her feet quickly. She was vexed.
“You this witch na me you slap like that…?”
At this point, some of the restaurant attendants had left their post and were inside the restaurant to see what was causing the commotion.
The much older woman threw her hands in the air in an attempt to hit Christine. But Francis was quick to block the blow. The woman moved on Francis. She began to dig her fingernails into his back. He hit her arm with a clenched fist. She squealed.
Now the attendants ran towards them and held their employer. Francis held his sister. At this time, it seemed the whole neighborhood had gathered inside and outside the restaurant.
“E no go better for una. Walahi, God go punish una. Una come my house dey call me thief abi?”
“You are a thief useless woman. Shameless fool!” Christine lashed out at the older woman. Her hair was scattered from the earlier encounter. She also had a broken lip.
Francis tried to calm his sister down.
One elderly man walked towards them. He looked like the leader of the community by the way he was dressed and it seemed everyone was following him.
“Oya two of una shut up there.” His voice was deep and he reeked of cheap alcohol. “Wetin happen here he asked?”
He kept his eyes of Francis and Christine. He did not recognize their faces. They were obviously strangers.
Aunty Yetunde spoke first. “This ogbanje children come from their house dey accuse me say I thief their mama property…”
The man raised his hand for her to keep quiet. She did. The man was obviously a respected man.
He nodded at Francis.
“Good afternoon sir. Our mama get restaurant before and thi woman dey work for am. so we come meet say somethings for the restaurant dey miss ooo how e take happen?”
“Where una mama?” The man asked.
“She don die” Francis replied.
“Okay so una believe say maybe na she steal una mama things abi?”
“I no know sir. I just talk say make I come ask am.”
“This children no well walahi, bale, this children come here dey talk say na me thief their mama pot and plates. Haba me?”
“Ok so na wetin come cause fight now…?” The Baale asked.
“Sir, I see some of my mama property for here and I come ask am how she take get am…” Christine spoke this time.
The Baale has his eyes ravaging her. He obviously admired her.
“Baale , na only her mama get this kind plate? Make una see me see trouble ooo.”
“Sir, those plates dey rare for market. Na the time wey our mama travel go Dubai she buy those plates come back” Christine answered back.
“Ok, ok. So na because of plates two of una dey fight abi?” the Baale questioned both of them.
“No sir. Na because she begin abuse us.” Christine replied.
The Baale grabbed a sit and gestured that they sit down as well.
“Now I wan ask you Yetunde, you thief abi you no thief?”
“I no thief anything.”
“Una go follow me go iremeta house where una go swear…”
He threatened.
Yetunde flinched on her seat.
“Oga no worry, we don leave everything for God hand…” Francis said.
“Na for God hand iremeta sef go put am. make He judge…”
“We are fine sir.” Christine said.
The man smiled at her.
“Ok.” He got to his feet. “Two of una na stranger for this place. Make una no dey cause problem for area where una no know. Ok shey una don finish here..?”
They nodded.
“Ok make una follow me.”
He wanted to protect them. He knew they would be ambushed in the neighborhood if they were left alone by themselves.
“Baale… ” Aunty Yetunde tried to get his attention but he ignored her.
She followed after them. The Baale did not as much as look back.
The people on the street obviously respected the Baale. They allowed the newcomers to pass through without harming them. The faces of the young boys looking at them could tell they were passing through only on the Baale’s stance.
Aunty Yetunde continued to follow them. She kept some distance between them. 
When they had gone a long way off, she returned to her restaurant.
****************************************
CHAPTER 17 Coming Soon
****************************************
Please note that this material is covered by International Intellectual Property Law. No part of this material whether in part or as whole can be used, copied, redistributed, or sold without the express permission of the author. Any violation of any kind, would call for due prosecution

No comments:

Post a Comment