Thursday 2 January 2014

Chapter 19


Little Clues

“Honey, look, they are coming this way…”
“Who?”
“The men we saw earlier.”
“So, what’s our business with that….?”
“They look mean that’s all.”

At that point, Jennifer looked up. She could see the men coming. They were walking fast. One of them was pointing in the direction she was sitting. She stopped in her seat.
The way one of the men was walking was obvious.
Martins!
She got up quickly from the chair dropping the magazine. The couple looked in her direction.
“Those men are looking for me. If they find me, they would kill me….” She said to couple.
The men were getting close.
She started to panic.
The couple became empathetic.
“See that big flower vase over there, why not go and hide over there…” The wife said pointing to one big flower vase used to decorate the place.
Not having a better option, she followed suit. She walked quickly to the flower vase. It was big and had a big Christmas tree beside it. It was sufficient to hide her from not so keen eyes.

The three men walked into the lounge. Their eyes were wild and wide as they perused the place. The place was not crowded as there were packets of people sitting all over the place.
The men spoke and went in different directions.
One of them approached the couple.
“Hello, so sorry to disturb you but it’s a matter of security…”
He reached into his pocket and pulled out a picture.
“Have you seen this face anywhere today…?”
The wife said no.
The husband collected the picture and looked at it like he had something important to say. After a while, he handed it back and said, “There are many young ladies that go in and out of this hotel, it would be difficult to keep tab on faces.”
“Yeah true. But that security guy over there…” He pointed to John, “said, he spoke with her some 30minutes ago and that she came to sit here.”
“Oh yeah…? Maybe… But I can’t remember seeing such a face.”
“Please incase you see her, here is my card. Her father has been looking for her. We thought she had been kidnapped. You don’t want to know how many places we have been in the past couple of weeks searching for her. If you see her please don’t hesitate to give us a call.”
“No problem.” The husband collected the card.

Jennifer could see the men from the little spaces between the artificial leaves of the Christmas tree. On many occasions, Martins would look in the direction of the tree. Jennifer would freeze.
He came close to the tree at one time and just glanced. Jennifer froze. He came closer and played with one of the balls.
Jennifer held her breathe.
He just felt the balls and walked away. Jennifer’s heart was pounding in her chest. She felt like it would rip her chest open.
She closed her eyes.
The tree started to shake. She opened her eyes. She felt like the whole world was going to collapse. It was a little kid playing with the balls.
Jennifer was tempted to reach out her hand and smack the little boy on the head. But it was too risky.

“Are you sure she came this way?” Martins asked John. John was frantically looking around.
 “Yeah. She came here. We spoke not so long ago.”
“But I don’t see her anywhere here…”
“Maybe she went back to her room.”
“Do you know her room number?”
“I’m not privileged to that kind of information.”
“Really? Not even helped her with her luggage to her room?”
John shook his head, “No. We are not cleared to go beyond this place…” He made a gesture describing the area where he was given access to.
“So who is…?”
“No one will give you that kind of information. It’s a security protocol.”
“Oh really?”
“Yes.”
“I see. GB.” He called out to the other man
The other man in black leather jacket walked up to Martins.
Two other men joined them.
“So what’s the status?” Martins asked.
“Nothing yet.” They said.
“Ok we know she is in this hotel. There’s no point moving around. GB and Debo, you guys should keep a tab on all the exits. I think there are just two of them. That big door over there and the fire exit over there. Myself and Timothy will move around stylishly.”

“Gentlemen, how may I help you.”
They turned around to see a man dressed smartly in a security guard outfit. He looked sharp and smart. And he was tall.
“Good afternoon.” Martins greeted.
“I was told you men were looking for someone.”
“Yes.”
“The policy here, we don’t disclose any information of our customers to anyone. If it was a matter of urgency, you would need to speak to the security chief.”
“We are sorry for breaking protocol.” Martins replied.

Jennifer was watching from where she was. One of the kids had seen her and was staring at her. She made gestures to the kid to go away. But he would run away and then come back. He was beginning to have fun.
Jennifer was irritated. But she had no choice.
After many attempts, she gave up trying. Let him stare.
He will get tired and walk away.
She kept her eyes on the men.

“So how can we see the security chief?” Martins asked.
“You are speaking with him now.”
“Oh so sorry. I did not know. So, I came…”
“No. Not here. Let’s go to my office.”
“Ok.”
The security chief and the six other men walked away.

When they were long gone, Jennifer crept out from behind the tree. The mother was the little boy was shocked. She looked at Jennifer.
Jennifer ignored the stare that followed in her wake.
The couple walked up to her.
“Thank you.” She said to both of them.
“Did you run away from home?” The curious wife asked.
“No. I didn’t run from home. It’s a long story. I better get out of here before they come back or one of the men spots me.”
“Ok. So where would you go now…?” The husband asked.
“I don’t know, I just need to leave this hotel today.”
“Do you have any money…?”
“No, I don’t…”
The husband reached into his wallet and counted five thousand Naira and handed it to her.
“This is so generous of you.” Jennifer said gratefully.
“No problem. Just leave quickly.”
“Thank you.” She said looking at the wife.
The wife nodded. She had a pity face.
She walked brusquely away.

Jacob and Fela sat in the GreenSpring bar. The bar was filled with whites and blacks. There was soft music playing in the background. The bar had a lovely ambience.
There were friends all over the place chatting the evening away.
“Come on, don’t you think that’s too soon a conclusion..?” Fela asked looking at his friend.
“What’s too soon about it? Its either I get the money or I don’t. We can’t afford to loose this maga.”
“Take it slowly. We have come too far with this guy to loose everything ooo.”
“Relax I know what I’m doing. No be today we start this thing naa.”
“This one is going to be bigger than anyone we have pulled off in the past. Abeg no fall spoil this thing.”
“Fela, guy, I say no worry. Shebi me and you cut one last month….?”
Fela said nothing. He raised his glass to his mouth and drank from it.

Two men in black jackets walked into the bar. They began to look around.
They went in separate directions looking around. They looked like security personnel with their demeanor.
Fela shifted in his seat.
Jacob noticed his sudden change and looked in the direction of his friend’s sight.
He saw a man in black jacket walking towards their table.
He stiffened.

“Hello gentlemen…” The man in black jacket greeted.
“Hi” Fela nodded.
Jacob did not look in his direction.
“I’m sorry to ruin your evening but I just need your help. It’s really important. If you don’t mind…?”
Fela nodded. Jacob looked up at the man. He was wearing a dark sunshade, so his eyes could hardly be detected.
“May I…” he gestured to join them.
Fela adjusted.
Jacob continued to sip his drink. He was carefully studying the situation.
Was this guy a policeman? Were they here to arrest them?
The man continued, “Sorry, my name is GB…”
He looked sincere.
He reached out into his pocket and brought out a picture.
He did not hand it to them.
The two young men had their eyes on him. They were studying his every move carefully.
Jacob had one of his feet on the ground. He was ready to run if he noticed anything fishy.
“So…” He noticed the tension between them and said, “Relax guys, its nothing. Really.”
“So what is it?” Jacob finally said.
He placed the picture in front of both of them.
It was the picture of a smiling face—a young woman’s face.
“I’m looking for this girl. She’s my younger sister. She left home a long time ago…”
Fela picked up the picture and looked at the face closely.
Then he handed to Jacob.
Jacob recognized the face immediately.
“Have you fellows seen her anywhere…? It’s really important. Our father has been restless.”
Jacob weighed his options. Fela recognized the face too. But they both knew the face and made eye signs.
“Why did she run from home…?” Fela asked cautiously.
“Honestly nobody knows till today. You need to know how much we have done to search for her….”
“Ok say we find her, what next…?”
He reached into his pocket and brought out his card.
“You can reach me on this numbers… There would be a great reward from her parents. I can guaranty you that.”
He gave the card to Fela.
“Ok.”
“Thank you gentlemen. Enjoy the rest of your evening.”
The man stood up and walked away. Going on to another table.

Jennifer stood at the bottom of the stairs and looked up. She began to think what her best option was.
Should I go to my room and pack my things? Should I just go and never look back? I have so many valuable things in that room. Maybe they are searching my room now. God! Today is one terrible day.
She decided to leave the hotel.
She walked down through the second lobby on the east side of the hotel. There were two men at the entrance. They were scouting everybody as they walked in and out.
They were obviously looking for her.
She turned and walked up the short flight of stairs. She kept to the dark as much as she could. She wore the hood of her cardigan. Every step she took was calculated. She walked quickly at some point and at another time, she would walk very slowly.
She got to the back of the north side of the hotel where they had a small fire exit.
There were two men there as well.
She turned towards the small corridor that led up into the GreenSpring bar.

*         *         *
“Trust is reciprocal.”
“What else were you going to say?”
“You don’t trust me, how do you want me to trust you…”
“I haven’t given you a reason not to…”
“Well, if you can’t trust me enough to believe that I can change, then it’s going to be difficult for me to trust you too.”
“What you are saying does not make any sense.”
“I know it doesn’t make any sense because you just can’t let things go…”
“Daniel, let me ask you? If I did to you exactly the things you have being doing to me, how will you take it…?”
“Common, I know I would also react…”
“So why are you asking me to trust you when you haven’t earned it yet. Trust must be earned.”
“Victoria, you know I am not that kind of guy you think I am…”
“Oh really? Which kind are you talking about? The one that sleeps with my friends or the one that beats me black and blue.”
“You are being melodramatic.”
“Yeah?”
“Yeah.”
“How?”
“I have begged you and told you I am sorry and that such will never happen again. I was mad and I lost it.”
“We are saying exactly the same thing. If you have done it before, what would stop you from doing it again..?”
“I have learnt my lesson…”
“Which is?”
“Why are you so fetish about this matter Vicky? Seems you don’t want to give me a chance back into your life…”
”No, darling. I am protecting myself.”
“Can we go and discuss this at home?”
“No. I am ok here. It’s a public place and no matter what devil enters you, you will be careful not to raise your hands out here.”
Daniel shook his head.
“Why are you shaking your head? It’s the truth abi?”
“I am trying really hard here to make this thing work but you are just making it so difficult.”
“What am I supposed to do? Get back into your house where you will beat me to my death?”
“Victoria, please stop talking like this. I said I am sorry and it will never happen again.”
Victoria patted the baby on the back.
“Can I hold her?” Daniel asked.
“No you can’t.”
“But she’s my daughter too.”
“Have you earned the right to be her father? Beating her mother severely…? No I don’t think so.”
Victoria put the baby on her laps. She was laughing.
Daniel looked at his daughter and emotions took him over.
“Please Victoria, I have missed Kenessa a lot. Please let me just hold her…”
Victoria could see the way he was looking at his daughter and she felt for him.
She gave her to him.
He carried her and kissed her on the lips. Kenessa looked into her father’s eyes and smiled then she looked away.
Her small legs kicked as she jumped on his legs.
“She’s a strong one” Daniel commented.

“Yeah she is. And it’s obvious where she got that from…”
Their eyes locked and they smiled.
Kenessa started making some baby noises. She was excited and kicked. She put her small fingers in her dad’s mouth. She looked at his face and smiled again.
Victoria watched in amazement.
“Kenessa, darling, do you miss daddy…?” Daniel was saying to his daughter.
She was looking away. She began to nod her head.
“So Victoria, she needs her daddy. Look at how excited she is?”
“She is always excited. She is a happy baby. She doesn’t miss her daddy at all.”
“What else do I need to do too appease you Vicky?”
“I don’t know…”
“I am trying here Vicky, please come back home.”
She did not say anything. She was just looking at him.
“Please Vicky, I need you. I’m not complete without my family. You ladies complete me…”
“Kenessa do you hear that…?”
The little baby looked at her mother like she heard what she said and she just smiled.
“The past few weeks has been terrible without you guys. I come back home to an empty house. My bed is cold and the baby’s room is empty. It breaks my heart everytime.”
“See Daniel, I am not convinced with all these things you have said…”
“Please Vicky, I will go on my knees here if I have to…”
“Oya naa…”
Daniel handed the baby back to her and almost immediately he was on both of his knees.
Victoria did not expect that.
“Please stand up…” She was going to start to laugh.
“I am not being facetious; I am serious.”
“Please Daniel stand up. I am feeling embarrassed.”
“I would not until you say yes…”
“Then you might be on your knees for a long time…” She teased.
“It doesn’t matter. I need you ladies back home. I miss you both. A lot.”
Little Kenessa was stretching her hand in her father’s direction. She was playing and enjoying herself. Making her baby noises.
“I miss you too, Kenessa. Please Vicky. Give me a second chance.”
She looked away.
It seemed everyone was looking in their direction. Some people were pointing.
“Please Daniel stand up. Everyone is looking in our direction and this is so embarrassing.”
“Yes or no.”
“Ok, yes…”
He stood up and sat down.
“Thank you.”
He took Kenessa back. She was sleepy now.
“I will need to pick up some of my things from Chidinma’s house.”
“No problem. I will drive you to her place so we can pick up your things.”
It was obvious from his demeanor that he was excited.
They left.
Happy.

*         *         *
“Hello.”
“Who am I speaking with?”
“This is XFS. We are at your gate. We have a delivery to make.”
Tadeke paused.
XFS! This was the last thing on earth she thought she would get to hear about today.
“Ok.” She finally said.
The call went dead immediately.
She pushed the intercom.
“Hello, Festus.”
“Yes madam.” Festus replied. He had been sleeping. His voice was throaty.
“There’s a man at the gate. Do let him in.”
“Ok ma.”
She dropped the call.
Five minutes later, the door bell rang.
“Please come in.” She called out.
A man walked in. He was wearing a well-tailored suit. He looked like James Bond. Clean shave, broad chested and he seemed to be quick on his feet. But he was not the same man that she saw the other day at the restaurant.
“Good day.”
“Good afternoon.”
“Here is the result of the request you asked us for. Please sign here and here as acknowledgement.”
Tadeke collected a big brown envelop. She scrutinized the document she was supposed to sign and after she was satisfied, she signed twice.
“So what did you guys discover?”
The man did not say anything. He just wrapped the document in a small box and stood up to leave.
“Would you love something to drink?” She asked.
“No thank you ma’am. It was nice working with you.”
“Thank you. Same here.”
He said nothing more and left the house.
She sat and wondered how these people worked. They seem to be perfect in their timing. They know when to call you that it would not leave any breadcrumbs for her husband to follow. They seemed to know when she was awake and ready to pick a call.
They never called at the wrong time. No, not even once.
Impeccable.
She looked at the big brown envelop. She dropped it on the table and walked into the kitchen. She helped herself with a glass of orange soda. She loved it.
Then she picked up the envelope. She hesitated for a few minutes.
The results she might find in the envelope may change a lot of things. She wasn’t sure whether she was ready for what she might see eventually.
She picked up the envelope and ripped the top open.
She poured the content on the table. There was a small envelope that had a CD inside it. She pulled the CD out. There was a title on the cover. It read, Conversations. There was another small white envelope. This one was flat like there was nothing inside it.
She opened the small white envelope. There was a small note inside. It showed a list of bank transactions. She placed it aside.
Then there was a small light green box with flower petals patterns.
She took a deep breathe. It looked like a book for pictures.
She pulled the top open.
She closed her eyes.
The first card showed the picture of her husband and another woman. They were smiling.
She opened her eyes and looked at it again.
The face of the woman was not clear because of the angle the picture was taken. She put it aside. She picked up the second card. Her husband was making a call. He was wearing his favorite yellow polo and chocolate brown safari shorts.
This one did not make any sense. He was just making a call what difference does it make. She flipped the card and there was a note behind it.
This picture was taken of the 24th of October 2011. The call made in this picture can be tracked on the Conversations CD included in this envelope.
She put it aside.
She picked up the next one.
The card had the picture of her husband and Jennifer. She felt her knees going weak. A cold stiff shiver ran through her body.
The two of them were holding hands and walking on the beach.
She put it aside.
She picked the next one.
This time, Jennifer was holding the door of her husband’s car. She was about to get in when the picture was taken.
She put it aside and picked the next one.
This time they were sitting down. Jennifer laid her head on his chest. His chest was bare.
Tadeke was teary.
She put that one aside and picked the last one.
Jennifer was laughing. Kojo was tickling her.
Tadeke stood up immediately. Tears had welled up on her eyes.
She walked towards her room.
The pictures and everything else was left on the table.
She did not need any other proof. The pictures were incriminating enough.
Kojo. Kojo. Lord! That Jennifer girl again. Lord!
She started to sob.
She walked up to the table and picked up the small note.
It had on it bank transfers from Kojo’s company account to one Okon Ekaette Jennifer.
She dropped the note and covered her mouth with her hands.
The tears were rolling down her cheeks now.
She picked up the CD and walked to the home theatre in the living room. She inserted the CD into the DVD player and waited.
After a few seconds, the words began…
Jennifer’s voice: Hello
Kojo’s voice: Hey, hello, how are you?
Jennifer’s voice: I’m ok. Thanks for the money.
Kojo’s voice: No, don’t mention. So I’m going to see you tonight? My wife left yesterday.
Jennifer’s voice: Well… Do you want me to come?
Kojo’s voice: Sure.
Jennifer’s voice: Ok, I’d be at your place in say 30minutes time.
Kojo’s voice: Alright see you then…
There was a tap sound. It happened again, and then another conversation ensued.
Kojo’s voice: What are you doing today?
Jennifer’s voice: Nothing much. I’m alone at home very bored.
Kojo’s voice: I’m at the crème hotel. Would you come?
Jennifer’s voice: Why not? Anything will be better than staying at home right now…
There was the tap sound again. It happened again. Then another conversation started.
Kojo’s voice: What’s this about you being pregnant?
Jennifer’s voice: I’m pregnant KJ and I’m not joking.
Kojo’s voice: You can’t be serious?
Jennifer voice: I’m so sorry.
Kojo’s voice: No, Jenny, you can’t be serious…
Jennifer’s voice: I’m serious…
Then came the double tap sound again. Then another conversation started.
Jennifer’s voice: You have being avoiding my calls. I know you are doing it deliberately. But…
Kojo’s voice: I’ve told you not to call this number again.
Jennifer’s voice: Oh, that’s what it is now abi… I will see how you will explain this away when I tell your wife about us
Kojo’s voice: You dare not try that…
Jennifer’s voice: I see her everyday on her way back from work. I could just walk up to her and say hello…

Tadeke picked the remote and hit the pause button.
At the point, she was sobbing.
Her phone began to ring. She wiped her tears and tried to comport herself. When she saw the caller, she dropped the phone on the table.
Kojo was calling.
It rang four times but she did not pick the call.
She took the remote and hit the switch off button.
She had had enough.
She went into her room, closed the door and went on her knees.
She started to sob.
“Oh God, why…?”  That was all she could manage to say.
The tears began to roll down her face.
It was hard to belief.
She sat on the soft rug.

*         *         *

“So what do we do now?” Christine her brother while they were sitting at dinner.
“I’m not sure what exactly. But I believe God will show us what to do.”
“Yes.”
“I have asked mama Nonso to help us buy foodstuff the next time she goes to mile 12.
“Ok good.”
“I added some money to the money Baale gave us.”
She frowned, “Where’s my share?”
“HE gave us ten thousand naira. That’s not a lot…”
“Give me something naa. At least something;  no matter how small.”
Francis reached into his pocket a pulled out two 1 thousand Naira note.
Christine collected the money and smiled.
“Thank you.” She said.
“Don’t worry. When we start making money from this thing now, you will be able to have as much cash as you want.”
She smiled. He was trying to encourage her.
“Francis, I think it’s time you get some lady in your life…”
Francis started laughing. He almost choked out of laughter.
He picked up his glass of water quickly and drank from it.
“Sorry. Sorry.” Christine consoled.
When he recovered, he smiled and said, “Where did that come from?”
“I just thought as my brother… you need a woman in your life. As your sister, it’s only a matter of time; I will be going off with a man…”
Francis looked at her.
She was serious and what she said was true.
He picked his food.
“Did I say something wrong?” She asked when she noticed his changed expression.
“No… You just hit somewhere within that I have tried to avoid…”
“I’m so sorry.”
“No, it’s ok. Someone had to tell me this sooner or later. I’m glad it’s coming from you though.”
She smiled. “Yeah.”
“This your cooking ehn, na wa…” He said rubbing his stomach.
“You enjoyed it abi?”
“Anyday…”
“I…” she stopped.
“What is it?”
“I don’t know how to put it or how you will take it?”
“Try me.”
She looked at him.
“I have a friend who is looking for a boyfriend…”
“Really?” He had a full grin now.
“Yeah” She nodded, “and she is very cute. Wait, I think I have her picture on my phone.”
She flipped through her phone searching for the picture. When she found it, she enlarged it and gave her phone to him.
He looked at it for a few seconds’
“Hmmm. She’s cute.”
“Yeah, she is.”
She collected her phone back.
“I could arrange that you guys meet.”
“I’m not sure I’m ready for a relationship now…”
“Why?”
“Emotionally and financially, I don’t think I’m in that place yet.”
“Well… It’s worth a shot.”
He rubbed his head with his hand.
“I’m not sure. I won’t want to disappoint you.”
“No oo. It doesn’t matter how it turns out, aty least you would have picked up one or two things about today’s woman…”
“Wooow. How long have you nurtured this thought?”
“I did not do any nurturing. I just thought you should begin to think about it…”
He looked at her. He suspected something.
“Oya, tell me what is it?”
“What?”
“I can read you very well.”
“Really? You want to play that card with me abi…? There’s nothing jare.”
“Christine, I know you well. I know when you have something under your tongue and you are not saying…”
“There’s nothing under my tongue ooo.”
She opened her mouth and raised her tongue.
Then she got up and picked up the dishes.
“I know you are hiding something that you really want to say.”
“I don’t have anything ooo.” She called out from the kitchen.
He went to the kitchen and leaned on the door’s lintel.
“What is it Christine?” He asked gently.
She turned around and met her brother’s eyes.
“Ok, ok, ok… I’m going on a date with Jerry tomorrow.”
He flashed his eyebrow.
“Oh really?”
She nodded.
“Sounds great.”
“Yeah.”
She turned back and continued cleaning the dishes.
“I’m really happy for you.”
“Abi ooo. He is a very wonderful guy.”
“Yeah. I have met him twice and I think he is a decent guy.”
“He is.”
“See my sister blushing ooo.”
She giggled.
He turned to walk away when she said, “I will arrange a meet between the two of you. Her name is Chioma.”
“Christy, hmmmm. This is one very interesting position you are putting me in oooo.”
“Don’t worry, you’d be very fine. Just a little bit of shaving and a clean haircut. And probably some nice outfit. Don’t worry; I’d help prepare you for your date. I know what we women want.”
“You make it sound like I’m not in touch with reality. Na me be this…?”
“Not so naa. Just making sure the world sees that I have a really handsome brother who is just hiding behind in his past.”
He smiled.
“You should start looking forward to it.” She said.
“Ok.”

****************************************
CHAPTER 20 Coming Soon
****************************************
Please note that this material is covered by International Intellectual Property Law. No part of this material whether in part or as whole can be used, copied, redistributed, or sold without the express permission of the author. Any violation of any kind, would call for due prosecution.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks to Ope who helped proof read this chapter. You rock!!!

    ReplyDelete