Tuesday 9 September 2014

Chapter 24

 Now and always

 "Why do men act like animals…? No matter what we do for them, they are never satisfied….. Never satisfied. They act like dogs. Swinging their manhood in every direction like we women don’t have the same option…” Tadeke said looking at her friend intently.
Michelle adjusted in her seat and looked at her friend.
“The truth is, we also have the same option. But if we choose to do like they do, in what way are we different…? It would be a case of kettle calling pot black. I admit that it’s painful and revenge seems to be the best bet now but I remember you encouraged me when I discovered my husband was cheating on me as well…”
Tadeke sighed.
“Honestly, I had gone on a date with someone else. Not because I loved the guy or something. I was just bent on revenge or let’s say I hated the feeling of being betrayed and foolish. We were supposed to meet at a hotel. I had made up my mind that whatever happens, I would face the consequence…”
“Christ… I hate this feeling… I really do. I would leave Kojo. I don’t think I would ever trust him again… How can I share my bed with a man I can’t trust…?”
Michelle held her friend by the hands, “Listen sweetheart, I can’t tell you it’s going to be easy but its worth giving a shot. What makes you think the grass would be greener on the other side? If most men act the same, then you will likely be eating porridge from the same pot.”
“I prayed about this, Michelle. I prayed hard. That’s the only thing I know but I didn’t find peace…”
“I share my bed every night with a man that slept with another woman. Sometimes, I stay awake just staring at his face while he was asleep and wonder if I could trust him…”
Tadeke sighed again.
“And I don’t think all men are dogs by the way. Ours just seem to be among the larger percentage or maybe it’s the dreaded midlife crisis. However, if being born again is anything to count, then we have to forgive…”
Tadeke’s head dropped. She looked at her hands. Drops of tears began to fall off her face to the floor.
“Come on, sweetheart, come here.”
Michelle held her friend in a warm embrace.
Tadeke began to sob.
“Cry it all out. It would help. Let the anger and bitterness flow out of you. God’s grace will sort you out honey.”

After a few seconds, Tadeke composed herself. She took the face diaper that her friend offered.
“Thank you Mitchy. I needed someone to talk to. Honestly, I was planning to leave this country and never return. Then I thought of my children. What will I tell them? They love their father a lot. So much so it would crush them especially my second daughter. She looks up to her father a lot. God, please help me…”
“You will find grace at this time.” Michelle said calmly.
Tadeke sighed again.
“The painful part of this is that, if it was a woman that was caught cheating, she would be thrown out of the house without given a fair chance at forgiveness. A colleague of mine had this experience. She came to my office and I encouraged her to forgive herself and find God’s peace and move forward. I just don’t get it. But when the men do it, we either divorce them or find a place of forgiveness…”
“I think its not just women who should forgive, men to should…”
“So if I go ahead and cheat on him, he should find a place of forgiveness for me, right?”
“He should. But I would not advice it. Please quell that thought. It’s a breeding ground for resentment and unforgiveness. And you would not forgive yourself. Let that thought go.”
“I know.”
“Haven said all that, the question now is how we mitigate this from happening again…? The truth is, a man who did it before can do it again and again. But we at the receiving end should protect ourselves too.”
“How?” Tadeke asked.
Michelle had her rapt attention.
“We must be watchful. We must be prayerful. We must make sure we communicate our doubts at all times. And, we must prepare in the event that things go awry. I’m not saying it will but wisdom is profitable, my dear.”
“Hmmmm.”
“How can you have a lovely home with all that in mind..? Watching every move he makes? Communicating your doubts even though some of them may not the founded or are just based on suspicion? Preparing for a divorce…? Jes! That’s a lot to carry on with everyday in your marriage.”
“What would you rather do? Or what would happen if God forbids, he cheats on you again…?”
“I would leave him for good. That’s for sure.”
“Ok, you will leave him for good, right?”
Tadeke nodded.
“What about the kids?”
“I would find something to tell them… or I will just tell them the truth.”
“And you think your children would be happier knowing the truth about their father especially knowing the truth from you?”
“I would have to prepare for that.”
“Yeah. So we are saying the same thing. Prepare in the event that things go south.”
“Just thinking about it now, I won’t be able to forgive myself. I just imagine how my daughter would take it. She loves her father so much. I know my son would also be shocked but he can handle things properly. But my daughters… that would be another story entirely.”
“So like I said, be watchful and prayerful. It is in the bible. ”
“Ok I understand the part of being prayerful but how would you be watchful without showing signs of distrust?”
“Good question. The answer is, there is no way. He would understand that he put you in that position and you are only trying to protect yourself.”
“Husband and wife are supposed to be one. Not one and another one. But just one. Snooping through his drawls and gadgets isn’t going to help build trust. And if the two don’t trust each other, they can never be one. Never.”
“Sweetheart, if you have a better way of handling this, please let me know.”
Tadeke sighed again.
“To be honest, I believe the only thing that can conquer a;ll is love. Its just hard to lve when you have been cheated. Anyway, I’m still taking some days off. I need to go and clear my head. I won’t be able to stand the sight of him right now.”
“I understand. Why do you think I went to the hotel…?”
“I’m leaving the country.”
“Whatever works for you. Just go and clear the anger out and let peace come back home.”
“What baffles me is why the same girl? Is she some kind of superwoman or is it just men?”
“I don’t have an idea. I was almost going to kill that girl. We met at the hotel lobby one time. I beat the living day light out of her. If not that she escaped, I would have committed murder. God just saved me that day.”
“I just don’t get it. What do men want? I satisfy my husband sexually. He can testify to that. But why he went out to see someone else just baffles me. The painful part is that, we slept in the same house and on the same bed for so long. He would tell me he loves and cherishes me and all that but…” She shook her head.
“When you experience something like this, its hard to trust them again.”
“It’s going to be very hard.”
“But not impossible. Prayer does a lot of wonders both for you and for him.”
“Yeah. So how is it with you and Patrick?”
“We have made much progress. We pray together more often. He calls me almost every hour of the day. He tells me where he is going. And many times I have gone to check him and found out that he was not lying. Many times, he would not know I was in the vicinity where he was.”
“Jesus! You are tailing your husband now?”
“No, I’m just being watchful.”
Tadeke smiled.
“Trust is hard to build once you destroy it. If someone trusts you a lot, when you loose that trust, it would take a lifetime to get it back. A lifetime of hard-work. We travel together to many of his trips. His phones and gadgets are always opened for me to access. Not that I asked him to do it but he is consciously working on building the trust again.”
“Eeyah. He had realized his wrong and he is trying to make amends.”
“Yeah. Every man knows a woman’s worth. Even if he pretends not to care, men know that when you find a good woman, you should keep her. They can’t handle it when a woman cheats. Trust me, we can handle it more than they can. ”
“How do you know?”
“I asked my husband one day, what would have happened if I was the one that cheated on him…? He was confounded. He couldn’t reply me…”
“Interestingly I experienced the same when I asked my husband as well.”
“You see… They can’t handle it.”
“Na wa.”
“What date have you scheduled for your trip?”
“Wednesday.”
“Ok. That’s three days from now.”
“Yeah.”
“So where are you staying?”
“I’m staying at a hotel.”

Mitchelle’s phone rang. It was her husband

*        *        *
The whole place was filled with friends and fans. Almost agog.
Well wishers were trooping in and out of the small compound. There were cars parked outside. Music lovers were everywhere.
Sukanmi was on top of the world as he walked up to his brother and his friend.
“Congratulations Sukkie.” Paul said raising his glass in cheers.
“Thanks Paul. I told my brother that my song would hit top ten…” There was a large smile on his face.
Wole nodded in agreement. “I’m proud of you.”
“Thanks for believing in me.”
“Honestly, you should be thanking Paul here. He was the one that said I should keep encouraging you.”
Sukanmi was walking off when he raised two thumbs up for Paul. Paul smiled.
“I am really happy that I listened to you. I feel like his life is taking shape. I’m sure our father will be looking down from heaven and be proud of what he is turning out to be.”
“Yeah.”
“I almost condemned his ambition to a halt. Glad to have people like you around.”
“Thank God.”
“Now he has awards to his merit. Really happy. His persistence also paid off I guess.”
“Yeah it did.”

Sukanmi appeared again. This time he had a really beautiful lady with him. She was slim and tall. Her skin glowed. And she had a lovely smile.
“This is my brother Wole and my other brother Paul. They have been the backbone God used for me.  And guys this is KP. This is the KP that did my hit song with me.”
“Oh nice to meet you.” Wole reached out his hand to shake her. She stretched her hand also and they shook.
“Yeah, nice to meet you KP.” She shook Paul too.
She was stunning.
Wole was observing her closely.
Sukanmi whisked her away.

Paul saw the expression on Wole’s face.
“What?”
“Nothing.”
Wole smiled.
“I saw the way you were looking at her…”
“She’s cute no doubt.”
“And…”
“And nothing.”
“Ok.”
“Yeah. She’s beautiful and I’m just saying...”
“I hear you.”
“Can’t a brother admire a sister again? Especially for single ones like me…?”
“Well. It’s good for single brothers like you. ”
“Thank you.”
“So who’s the new girl in your life now…?”
“I have stopped going after girls just for sex. I’m a different person now…”
“Hmmm. That’s good to hear. Speaking of which, I ran into Biola the other day.”
“Yeah?”
Paul nodded.
“I was shopping for some groceries when I saw her. She was with one lanky looking dude. They looked married.”
“Good to know she moved on well…”
Paul looked at his friend. “What about you?”
“I’m taking my time. I have seen loads of beautiful girls but what comes to my mind is sex and I don’t want that anymore. I need to settle down now. Age isn’t helping.”
“So is old age what made you stop…?”
“Well, let’s say I decided to hand my life over to the Lord.”
“Well done.”
“It hasn’t been easy. Many of the girls I used to date a long time ago seem to find me rather amusing these days. I get calls like, Wole where are you? I miss you. Can we hook up? I’m lonely and cold, where are you? I saw you the other day in your car driving by. I have really missed you.  Serious temptation. I’m telling you. Sometimes, I have to switch my phone off to find peace. I need to find my wife quickly baba. These temptations are becoming too much.”
“Can’t you tell them to stop calling you or bar their numbers.”
“How many times would I say it?”
“Then don’t pick their calls.”
“How? When they call you with a number you don’t recognize?”
“Na wa ooo. So do you have anyone you are eyeballing right now?”
“I have oo my brother. But she’s not willing. ”
“And what happened to your tenacity?”
“I have lost the drive to go after women at a do or die affinity. I have to relearn dating a woman without having sex at the back of my mind. It’s hard but God is helping me. I pray regularly and I also go to church. I’ve been reading a couple of books. And my bible as well.”
“I see. I’m really happy to hear all these.”
Wole smiled. “Anyone can change.”
“Sure.”
“If you really love this girl, I don’t think you should just give in. It’s normal for ladies to behave like that. It’s one of their first lines of defense against ravaging monsters.
“Na me you dey tell?”
“I know na…”
“So what did she say exactly?”
“Long story…”
“I can spare 30 minutes before my wife starts calling.”
“Ok, I will be brief. I saw her at in the church like 4months ago. She was by my side on our way out of the church after the service that Sunday. I liked her immediately I set my eyes on her. Honestly speaking, I went after her without giving it a second thought. When I was able to get beside her, I said ‘hi’ She stopped and said hello with such a lovely voice. Jesus! I thought I found my wife. She was everything I wanted. Slim, cool headed and downright sexy. I fell in love. Anyway, I introduced myself like a gentleman and told her what I thought. I spelt it out without mincing words. She smiled and politely she said, I love your honesty but I’m sorry, I’m not up for grabs. And she walked away. I tell you, after that encounter I don’t miss church. I go to church every Sunday and every Wednesday. I even go for vigils…  
“Interesting.”
“For sometime, I didn’t see her in church. One fateful day. I was already in church when an usher brought her to seat beside me. In my heart, I said thank You Jesus. After service, I spoke to her again. This time she was more accommodating. We spoke for close to twenty minutes. But at the end she said, she’s recovering from a marriage that never happened. The guy stood her up at the altar.”
“Jesus Christ! Do people still do stuff like that?”
“Yes ooo. I told her I will wait for her to heal. She said, it was not necessary that I would loose out of many other propsects out there. She was very nice.”
“Hmmm. She might be right on that.”
“On what? No worry I can wait. I’m not in a hurry to marry my wife.”
“Thought you said you were in a hurry some minutes ago.”
“I know… Sometimes, I feel I might be chasing shadows with this girl. It’s been four months now and still no green light.”
“Four months is a long time ooo.”
“I know. But Paul I can die for this girl. Wait, let me show you her picture.”
“Oh you have her picture on your phone already?”
“Yes na. Sometimes, she comes to church with her younger sister. I became friends with her younger sister and I asked for her name. Then I put one and two toether, I got her full name. I then went on to facebook and the rest is history. I have sent her invites many times which she had declined. But the younger sister received my invite. The younger sister likes me. She told one time that her sister mentioned my name when they were gisting. She said her sister seems to have some affection for me but she often relives the painful memories. That’s hope right there Paul but…”
“It’s taking too long abi…?”
“Yeah. And I have been praying so hard. So hard. I even fast ontop the matter sef.”
Paul looked at his friend in astonishment.
“This is something.”
“You better believe it.”
*        *        *
The voice was faint but he could make out some words.
I know Martins was involved in all of this. I won’t be surprised if he is the one alerting her ahead. Else, tell me why it has been so hard for twelve men to locate one girl in this small Lagos...” Chief Etibeh Said.
Sir, Lagos is very big. She could be hiding in Ikorodu or Epe or even under our nose here on the Island. Except we have ears and eyes everywhere, we may never find her.
They began to whisper some words but Martins could not make them. He strained to hear but he could not make out the words clearly.
He was counting time in millisseconds as he waited for the verdict from the Chief. Everyone knows when the Chief decides on something, he doesn’t change his mind.
He sat alone in the dark room waiting for the time he would be taken out and shot to death. Chief was brutal and it does not matter who crossed his path, he would take his revenge.

Suddenly, the door of the room opened. Two men walked in. One had a gun in his hand.
Martins’ heart beat began to increase.
The Chief was behind them. When he got in, they shot the door.
“I would ask you this in an attempt to save your life.” The chief said calmly. His voice was steel cold and deadly.
Martins looked at every face in a plea for his life.
“I swear I don’t know anything about this money.”
The chief nodded at one of the men. He walked up to Martins. He was the one with the gun.
“Chief you know I will never betray you. I would never do this to you. Chief you would waste my life for nothing. Please I’m begging you in the name of God.”
The man put the nozzle of the gun at Martins’ temple.
Martins froze.    
“One last time Martins, where is my money?”
“I swear, I don’t know where it is….” He was sweating and breathing heavily. His chest moved up and down very quickly. He could not control the tears as they rolled down his face. “I beg you Chief, I wouldn’t betray you for a woman. Not in this world.”
“Well… I guess I gave you a fair chance.”
Martins closed his eyes and whispered a prayer quickly and spittle dripped out of his mouth profusely. He stiffened as he felt the man apply pressure on his head with the nozzle. He waited for the moment when he would black out. For a split second, he remembered his 2year old daughter and his wife. The police must be out searching for him now. He had not seen them for the past 5months. He saw his baby’s face as she smiled. He smiled too and said, “I love you Elizabeth.”
The man pulled the trigger. The gun made a click sound. Martins grind his teeth together expecting the hit that would end his life in split seconds.
He had released control over his bowels. It emptied itself in his pants then unto the floor. He closed his eyes shot. Expecting the end.
But nothing happened.
Then he heard men laughing.
He opened his eyes to see the three men laughing. Even the chief was laughing.
He was not sure what had happened.
He looked around to be sure. One of the men walked up to him and said, “You no even get liver. With all these your muscle, chei!”
He pulled out a jack knife and cut the tape used to hold Martins down to the harness.
His shoulder was numb and he could not feel his fingers for a few seconds.
“Jesus! Martins look at you. You released your bowels.” The Chief could not help his laughter.
The other men joined.
Martins was not smiling. He was not sure what was going on. He could figure they had played a prank or something on him but his head was still in shock.
He tried to get to his his feet but fell over; knocking the two men in front of him off their feet. His feet were numb too. The two men helped him get back  to his feet.

The Chief looked at his teary eyes. “Martins, your life was saved by your men who promised that they would get Jennifer by next weekend. I  give you one more week. Next time, that gun would not be empty.”
Martin was speechless.
The chief walked away without another word.
The men in the other room started laughing when they saw Martins. His pants were wet and his face was swollen. The tshirt was wet from sweat. He looked horrible.
Saheed walked up to him and helped him to a seat.
“We will find Jennifer Martins. We will find her before the end of the week.  And we would get Chief’s money.”
“Thaa—a—a—aank you.” He managed to say.
Saheed smiled.
 “With all this your muscle, you no even get liver…” The man with the gun said a second time.
Everyone began to laugh again.
*        *        *
“Do I look like one of those girls you pick up by the road side? Abeg, park well…” Jennifer said to the guy beside her.
The club was full and the music was loud.
It was Friday and everyone was in a party mood. There were many young girls everywhere. Looking for a good time. Some came alone while others came with escorts.
The VIP lounge was also filled up. Jennifer sat at one corner. Her gesture was soliciting attention. She wore a black short gown that rose way above the knees. The cloth was tight and she caught everyone’s attention.
Men after men were walking up to her. She would size them up and when she wasn’t satisfied, she told them off.
She enjoyed the attention and the control she had over men. Men are so easy when their brain stops doing the thinking. She relished the attention she was getting. She was also cautious. She knew as much as she was having fun, her life was also under threat. So she sat facing the exit and she had planned in her mind what she would do if she was cornered.
“Hello”
A man’s voice said.
Jennifer looked at the guy. He sported a green Ralph Lauren tshirt with the big crest. He smelt good and looked fit. There was something smooth about him and that got Jennifer curious. She loved to crack mysterious men.
“Hi”
“Can I buy you a drink?”
“I think I’ve taken so much for now. Thanks.”
“Ok. So what’s your name?” He took the seat next to hers.
“Vanessa.”
“I’m Benjamin.”
She nodded.
The man smiled but it was very brief.
“I’d love you to come over to my place.”
He was direct and left her nothing to ponder.
Jennifer liked the idea.
“Just like that…?”
Benjamin looked at Jennifer. “Yeah, just like that.”
“Nah. I ain’t that kinda girl.”
“Apologies. I ain’t that kinda guy either.”
Jennifer smiled.
“So Vanessa, let me cut straight to the chase. You are sexy and hot and there’s nothing else on my mind when I look at you. I have tried to look away on many occasions seeing you have had many solicitors approach you but I thought, why not give it a try…”
“Are you married?”
Benjamin was not expecting that.
“Why? What does that have to do with anything?”
“I just love to know what kind of man I’m dealing with.”
“I don’t think that should be any of your concern Vanessa.”
This mysterious man was getting Jennifer excited. He had a lot to hide.
“Ok. None of my business.”
“So what do you say? Are you coming?”
“Now?”
“Yeah. Isn’t this place boring…?”
“Yeah, it is.”
Benjamin got to his feet. Jennifer picked up her bag and followed him. Some guys started to whistle as she walked off. She smiled at the attention she was pulling. She saw some girls rolling their eyes at her. She smiled at them too.
She was whisking away one of the good catch at the club. Benjamin was obviously one of their targets.

Benjamin’s apartment was a big duplex. It had a large swimming pool at the back. The garden was well lighted and the flowers were properly cut.
She could see the garage not so far off. She could make out a black Bentley and a Mercedes Benz.
She smiled.
This was not some cheap boy. She thought
“Watch your steps.” Benjamin said as they went up a flight of stairs.
The house was built to elegance. Beauty and perfection of taste was the keyword.  The Chandelier at the center of the house was huge and lovely. It had small flower looking petals that hung around the harness in their thousands. Jennifer stood for a moment ravishing the beauty of the place.
“Your place is lovely.”
“Thanks.”
“Do you stay here all by yourself?”
“I have four dogs, two gardeners, a cook and two housekeepers. No I don’t stay here alone.”
“I meant family.”
He ignored the questions and went into one of the rooms. Jennifer followed him. She could not take her eyes off the chandeliers. There was a large painting in the room. The painting was a black African woman.
“Are you hungry? I need to eat. I’m famished.”
“Yeah, I could use some food.”
“Ok. The bathroom is on the left corner. You won’t miss it. You go get yourself a good bath. I’m sure you could use one.”
He had barely finished his words when he walked out of the room. Jennifer pulled off her shoes and threw her bags on the chair by the side of the large white bed. The bed was very inviting.
She walked towards the direction of the bathroom.  The interior decoration of the house was breathe-taking. She began to wonder what kind of job the guy did.
His voice called from somewhere behind her, “The food would be coming on shortly.”
“Ok. Thanks. I won’t be long.”
“You don’t have to hurry. Take your time.”
“Aiit.”
Jennifer smiled; men and their desires.

*        *        *
The restaurant was full to capacity. The place was agog with laughter and all sort of cheering. Men and women were laughing to their heart’s content.
The attendants could barely keep up with the requests and orders coming from the customers.
Christine watched from the small office window.
“How I wish mama was alive to see this.”
“Yeah. I wish the same everyday. She worked so hard and could not eat from the tireless labour. So painful.”
“I hope she is looking down from heaven and seeing that her labor was not in vain.”
“I’m sure she is.”
Christine turned to face her brother.
“Something really interesting happened to me yesterday…” She grabbed a seat.
Francis looked up at his sister.
“Do you remember that Baale we went to see the other day?”
“Yeah. That was so long time ago.”
“Yeah. I stumbled on him yesterday.”
“Oh really? Where?”
“At the bus-stop.”
“Bus-stop?”
“Yes. He was in his jeep. I just heard someone honking and pointing in my direction. People were signaling that the man in the jeep was calling me. I ignored him. You know how all this useless men go after girls on the road…?”
Francis nodded.
“Anyway, he told his driver to park close to where I stood. I was walking away from the vehicle when he called my name. I was surprised. So I turned and viola, there was the smiling face of the Baale.”
“And what did you do?”
“I just waved at him and turned another direction.”
“Interesting. You could have at least said good evening or something.”
“Good evening my foot. You know the old man was after me. That man is shameless. I’m same age with his one of his daughters.”
“So he drove off…?”
“No. He came down and walked up to me. I was shocked. He looked much younger and cleaner. He looked like he had gone to freshen up. His hair was cut and he was properly shaved. If I did not know what he looked like before, I would have assumed a very young man.”
Francis crossed his arms akimbo.
“He asked after you and how we were doing and all that. He gave me his card and asked me where I was going… Anyway, long story short, he dropped me off.”
“Small world.”
“Small world my dear. It’s just amazing how he transformed himself. He looked very fit and healthy…”
“If your boyfriend hears you talking like this…”
“And so? Not like I liked him or anything. It’s just amazing that he transformed so well. Anyway, make we leave matter for Mattias.  Where is that old man?”
“Come on Christy, that’s our father you are talking about.”
“Well, I just can’t find reasons to call him my father.”
“I thought you guys were doing better.”
“Doing better? How?”
“I saw both of you talking yesterday and at some point I saw you smiling then laughing and all that.”
“He could be a funny man sometimes. It’s just that, mum would still be alive if he was at home. At least, he would have prevented the sickness from killing her.”
“Christy, you will have to forgive him. You just have to...”
“I know…”
“It looks like he has come to terms with his life and wants to make amends.”
“Yeah. But why did he come back after mama died. That’s my point. It’s too much of a coincidence.”
“Be that as it may, Christy, you would have to let your anger go and forgive him.”
Christy stood up from the chair and paced the room.
“I’m sure that is what mum would have wanted us to do.”
Christine did not reply. She just stood at the window and looked out at the customers.
“I dream about her sometimes. I remember that time you were so sick and she had to stay with you the whole time. How she encouraged you to keep looking that you will find a job. She never complained to us about how difficult her life was but we knew she worked very hard…” Tears were welling up Christine’s eyes.
Francis could not see her face.
He stood up and walked towards her.
“Christy chum…” He pulled her to him and held her in an embrace.
She began to sob.
“Its ok Christy. She left something for us and that means a lot to us. It’s feeding and clothing us today. I’m sure she would want us to be strong…”
“Why…. But... why…”
“Shhhhhhhhhh. It’s ok chum.”
“She loved us so much. Her hard work killed her… It kill…”
“It’s ok chum. Shhhhhhh. It’s ok.”
She held on tightly to her brother.

There was a knock on the door.
Christine adjusted herself and wiped her face.
“Who’s there?”
“Na me Comfort.”
It was the head cook.
“Come in.”
The door opened and the middle age woman walked in.
“What’s the matter?” Francis said quickly.
The woman’s eyes went from Christine back to Francis.
“We need to buy more fish. Fish don finish and customers dey ask for fish well well. Then we go need firewood too. And the girls dey complain say the work don too much for them. We fit get two more girls to help us. Customers too plenty...”
“Ok. Slow down. One at a time. You need fish and firewood abi?”
She nodded.
“How much would that cost?”
“We go buy like four cartons of fish and firewood. That na like twenty two thousand.”
“Ok.”
Francis opened the drawer and pulled out some notes. He started to count them.
“Aunty Comfort, hope say those girls no dey steal fish?”
Comfort frowned. “No. I dey watch them very well.”
“Because na last week Friday we go buy eight cartons of fish and now e don finish.”
“Customers dey enter here well well. You no say me I no go allow that kind thing make e happen under my nose.”
Christine nodded. Their mother trusted this woman a lot.
Francis handed her the money.
She stood up.
“Walahi, if una mama dey alive, she go dey pray for una everyday. Una make this restaurant better. Abeg make una help us employ two girls. We need am. Customers don begin complain.”
“Ok. Aunty Comfort.”
“Thank you.”
She walked out of the office.
Francis made a record of the money dispensed and what it was dispensed for.
“Can we accommodate two more girls…?”
“We might be able to do so.”
“Are we breaking even?”
“We are not there yet but making good progress.”
Christine smiled.
“How do you feel now?”
She nodded. “Much better.”
“Good. I can’t afford my only baby sister in the world to be anywhere than happy.”
“Thank you Francis. I needed that release. I cry at night sometimes. I often ask God why but He knows best. The truth is I’d rather she be dead than see her go through those chronic nights of horror.”
“Yeah.”
“So, how is it going with your hunt?”
“Which hunt?”
“Love hunt of course.”
“Well, not so good. I guess I’m just a relic. Haven’t caught up with new toasting trends yet.”
Christine began to laugh.
“I will find someone sometime.”
“You will.”
“So how’s your boyfriend?”
“He’s great.” A big smile crossed her face.
“Someone is blushing… You must really love this guy.”
“Yes ooo. A lot. I want you to meet him.”
“Looking forward to it. So tell me about him.”
“Well… He’s godfearing, caring, sweet, handsome, rich, not fat, not thin. He knows how to calm me down. He’s so easy to be friends with. Not expecting more from me than myself. And he loves lawn tennis…”
“Soul mate. Cool…”
“Wait now. I’m not finished yet.”
“Ok.”
“He owns an advertising agency in Victoria Island. He is the third born among five kids; three girls and two boys. He is the second boy. He is Yoruba. Very primp and proper kind of guy. He is ladies-man I tell you…”
“One guy with all that criteria..? He must be heaven sent…?”
“He sure is. Francis I love this guy no be small. I do shakara for him sha.”
“Chum chum… I’m so happy for you.”
“I’m missing him now as we speak. He is not in the country.”
“Eeyah.”
“He has also being talking settling down lately.”
“And…”
“And I’m ready to be his wife.”
“You love him and he loves you. That’s all that matters. The rest is secondary.”
“Yeah.”
“When is he getting back?”
“Next week Tuesday.”
“Ok. Cool.”
“He knows everything about you. I told him after God that you are my world.”
“Aaaaaaaaaaawwwwww. Chums.”
“It’s the truth ooo. I’m glad I have you for a brother. I even told him to find a space in his company for you. Guess what he said…”
“What?”
“Guess now.”
“He said no.”
“He said he would love to have you come work with him but most times guys don’t like working for their inlaws. He said he would love to meet you first.”
“Ok.”
“That’s the picture we took when we went on a boat ride last month.” She gave him her phone.
Francis looked at the picture for a few seconds, looked up and smiled.
“What?”
“You guys look really good together.”
“Abi?”
“Looking forward to meet him.”
“Don’t worry you will. I’m sure you guys would like each other. He’s so down to earth and gentle like you.”
“Ok.”
“Francis, serious talk…”
He looked up at her.
“You need to go out more often.”
“Why?”
“You won’t find love in this small office. It’s out there. You need to make yourself known. Someone out there is looking for someone like you but you are locked behind walls.”
“Jesus! Christine!”
“It’s the truth. I’d love to see you find love too. You have been there for me all this time; I’d really love to see you find that special someone. Everybody needs love.”
“I know.”
“So take sometime off and go to the cinemas, go shopping, even if its window shopping, take a walk around the street, get more friends. You know… Be out there. It’s because you lock yourself behind these walls that you feel it’s hard to find that someone. They are so much of them out there. No one can see you here. And you can’t see anyone here.”
“So who would manage the restaurant while I’m away?”
“We would hire a manager.”
“Those guys swindle people a lot.”
“We would put monitors in place.”
“So I would wake up every morning and start going everywhere…?”
“No not like that. You would get a good job soon. You know… But you need to start teaching yourself how to relax. How to have fun.”
Francis cocked his head to the side looking at his sister.
“I mean it Francis. You are going to be another year older next month. You need love in your life.”
He smiled.
“Yes I do.”
*        *        *

Stella settled in the large soft sofa. The room was big and had beautiful wall paintings. She looked around the place trying to catch a glimpse of everything.
Jide walked in.
“Here you go.”
“Thank you.” She collected the glass of water from him.
“So would you be staying the night?”
“Probably.”
“Probably is not an answer. It’s either yes or no.”
“Probably isin between yes and no.”
“I’d love to know so I can make the necessary plans.”
“What plans?”
“Like what we would eat, if I would need to get more fuel for the generator and all that.”
“I don’t know oo. It’s up to you.”
Jide smiled.
“But its just 5:30pm. It’s not like it’s too late.”
“For me, anything to six is late.”
Stella smiled.
“Ok make your preparations.”
“Aiit. Make yourself comfortable.” Jide got to his feet.
“Here’s the remote. I’d be back in say 15minutes time. Call me if you need anything.”
“Ok.”
He stepped out of the house.
Correct things. He thought.
*        *        *
Adaora looked at herself one more time in the large mirror. She loved the gown. It was just perfect. She picked up her phone. She wanted to make a call but then decided otherwise. This would be a surprise visit.
She picked up her purse and left her room.
*        *        *
Bimpe stirred the car gently into the long street. She then turned left and entered the close. She stopped the engine.
She pulled out her makeup kit and a mirror. She rubbed on her gloss lipstick and patted her face with powder. She looked at herself again.
“Good.” She said to herself.
She stepped out of the car and walked towards the three storey building of Jide’s apartment. She parked away from sight. She wanted to surprise him.

****************************************
CHAPTER 25 Coming Soon
****************************************
Please note that this material is covered by International Intellectual Property Law. No part of this material whether in part or as whole can be used, copied, redistributed, or sold without the express permission of the author. Any violation of any kind, would call for due prosecution.


No comments:

Post a Comment